1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling your head you want to leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by steerjr01, Jan 24, 2019.

1. JRS_2508

JRS_2508 New commenter

Hi

I am currently working as EYFS leader, covering a member of staff on secondment who I’ve just found out is returning in September.

We both have completely different ethos and ideas regarding EYFS education. They are much more formal and after following their planning and timetable I know I cannot continue teaching in early years at this school.

SLT have no understanding of EYFS and I have been told I am not allowed to change anything - planning and timetable wise.

How do I tell SLT I will be looking for jobs, without criticising the school or staff?

I’m worried in case I don’t get another position and have to stay another year!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There must be fifty ways to leave your employer
    Fifty ways to leave your employer
    You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don't need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don't need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free
    Paul Simon - 50 ways to leave your lover*

Can't you turn it into a positive and talk about new challenges etc? Or if it's going to be that much of a loss to them then maybe they'll rearrange matters in your favour.

*Sorry to shock all those who thought I only knew Kenny lyrics

3. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

You could try to arrange a meeting or drop in to speak to them in confidence. Just be polite and courteous but put your thoughts forward diplomatically. I am sure they will want you to succeed. They cant really stop you from looking for another job. People move around because thats life.

Maybe ask for more clarification on why you cant change the EYFS planning? Did they say why you cant amend it?

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. JRS_2508

JRS_2508 New commenter

I would like to go down the new challenges route but this is only my second year at the school. I was in nursery last year, as class teacher, and was pretty much left alone so had no idea of how formal things were in reception!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. JRS_2508

JRS_2508 New commenter

I was just told that as the member of staff on secondment is only away for a year I couldn’t change anything. They set up the current planning and like to be in control of everything.

The problem being they set up the long term plans etc for reception having no early years experience.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

Hmm doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Surely all planning for Reception and Nursery needs to be done by someone who has an understanding of Early Years? It's totally different to the National Curriculum.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You just say you're looking for more of a leadership/influencer role so you'll be applying elsewhere.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just look around and when you see something you'd like, pop in and have a chat. Be professional and mention that you'd like more freedom than you can have and that you've enjoyed the challenge of leadership and are hoping to continue in that roll. Also make sure you mention how much you love being there and would be more than happy to stay should you not be successful. Then ask them to be a referee.

That's it.

Teachers all over the country are having similar conversations with their heads at the moment and will continue to do so over the next few months.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Your title OP is not the correct phrase, you need to tell your Head you are actively looking for new jobs not that you 'want to leave.' You have to do the former really so they don't get shocked when called upon for a reference but stating 'you want to leave' puts you in an awkward limbo state while you actually go about securing the next job to leave to.
    As much as you might feel like barging into the office and stating 'I really dislike working here because...' I would advise against it.

10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Just tell them that you have got to a point in your career now where you are seeking a new challenge and would appreciate if you would be able to supply me with a reference for a new position. They can say yes or no. If you did it this way, you’re doing it professionally and you are not burning bridges. Good Luck.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You have a real talent for this JohnJ Carzola. From now on I expect every post to carry some incisive, pertinent song lyrics. ;)

12. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Allowing such editing of my posts. Why should I do such a thing...?

You better think (think)
    Think about what you're trying to do to me
    Think (think)
    Aretha Franklin/Ted White - Think

Oh..........

Shedman likes this.