1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling the time in year 6

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stephyt, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I don't know if this is the best place to post but hope someone can help me.
    I'm a student teacher and am doing an assignment on bridging through 60 to calculate time intervals in year 5. As part of this I am meant to write a bit about prior knowledge and where they progress to.
    I've been looking at the archived PNS and found info for years 4 and 5 no problem, but I can't find any mention of telling the time in any of the year 6 blocks.
    Is there anywhere else I can find this information? I've spent nearly an hour trying various google searches and getting no where.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't think there are any "time related" objectives for year 6.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

By year 6, they should be able to tell the time on analogue and digital. They should also be able to do time calculations such as timetables, length of a film, working backwards. They should be able to use the 24 hr clock.
    What else is there?
    If you want to challenge them - the best thing is flight times with 24 hr clock and time zones. That's fun!!

4. Thank you for your replies. I did think there may not be anything else from looking at the PNS. It was just we were meant to be putting in our assignment how they progress so I didn't want to get penalised for not putting anything so may put in the time zones as a possible activity, liking the sound of that!!
    We all have slightly different aspects of maths to cover though so I guess not everyone wil have anything that can be progressed.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I know this isn't what you are asking about, but your comment above is something I'm afraid I have to react to.

Not everyone can "progress", but frankly, in secondary, many of us would really rather there was a lot less "progression" in primary and a lot more "practice"

Yes, for the very able, no reason why they shouldn't learn about journey times & time zones but let's be honest, they're not going to meet exam questions on time zones in A level let alone GCSE, so those have to be extension activities, not core teaching.

Meanwhile, what will really make a difference to them in their progression in Secondary is if they have absolutely nailed down

1. Four-function arithmetic.

2. Decimals.

3. Fractions.

4. Order of Operations (BODMAS) (and knowing that ALL questions are BODMAS questions!)

5. Some qualitative idea of what basic units of measurement are.. (how many times round the playground is a km, the classroom is about 2 - 3m high, that flour & sugar come in Kilo bags, etc.)

So, while I celebrate the introduction of time zones as an extension or end of term activity (you might like to play around with the http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ website which shows real aircraft flight tracks in near-real time and gives all sorts of data about take off an landing times as well as a load of other stuff), please spend a lot more time on the "basics".

6. What about solving problems with a calculator and using the special button. (I wonder what it's called... the Time button?).

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

True - but how much more useful is it for all those pupils going to Spain in Summer!!!