1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling the Kids

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Serdinya, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I'm fortunate to have been working in a school where the kids are great. When I decided to retire (only a week to go now), the hardest part was telling the kids.
    Did you feel the same?

2. Nope.

3. I'm obviously lucky to have worked with lovely kids!

4. Yes I worked in a good school for last 6 years yr 10s were most upset- but whenever you leave some will be- they sent me off with style as did my yr 13s!

5. Along with six other teachers, i was made redundant, and this is a solu destroying process, as we were forbidden to tell the students that we would not be at school next term.

6. My HOD told the kids several weeks before I left. Lovely chap.

7. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

That must have been very painful, George. Children ask questions and make assumptions and at some point you must actually have had to lie to them.

8. Actually, what was happening only became general knowledge to the students when they received their new timetables for the Autumn Term and noticed that some teachers were missing. Even then, when I was being asked "won't you be teaching us next year?" we were given stern instruction not to say anything about redundancy, which was very difficult. We just had to say that we were leaving to go to another school. The underhand way in which all this was done; both the parent and teacher governors knew nothing about this until the announcement was made to those concerned. (I cannot vouch for the former but that latter was one of those 'going').
    The even more impossible situation was that we were not supposed to tell our colleagues that we were being made redundant, just that we were 'leaving', although obviously HoDs knew. This was a nonsense of course, as one thing you cannot keep in a school is a secret.

9. Forgot to say that some of us 'reduntees' reported were warned that non-compliance with the 'no tell' policy might be reflected in the references they received, although this did no happen to me personally.

10. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

A very sad story. I hope the sequel has been much more pleasant.

11. Not ofr me, gooddays. Despite joing quite a few agencies, I have had practically no work in teaching or in anything else, so my days are empty.