1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling of by HoD

Discussion in 'English' started by captain_picard, Feb 17, 2011.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

I had a 20 minute telling off by my HoD this morning, because I sent an angry parent to speak to her on parents' evening. The pupil's parents wanted to make a complaint about the school. I talked to them as best I could, then I told them that if they wanted to take things further they should see the HoD. Apparantly this was 'unprofessional', and the whole meeting was conducted in a way to suggest it was a serious error on my part. I was even told that the Headteacher would be speaking to me about it. Is this fair? Is is not HoD job to deal with angry parents from time to time?

2. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

I had a 20 minute telling off by my HoD this morning, because I sent an angry parent to speak to her on parents' evening. The pupil's parents wanted to make a complaint about the school. I talked to them as best I could, then I told them that if they wanted to take things further they should see the HoD. Apparantly this was 'unprofessional', and the whole meeting was conducted in a way to suggest it was a serious error on my part. I was even told that the Headteacher would be speaking to me about it. Is this fair? Is is not HoD job to deal with angry parents from time to time?

3. Yes, it is their job and it sounds like they might be over-reacting slightly in the way they're handling it (involving the Head who is surely busy with other things) maybe BUT...
    I think if I was HOD I would have appreciated some heads up. Maybe the best way would be to ask the parent to wait and find the HOD and speak to them about the issues first OR see whether the parent was willing to come back in another day for a meeting so that HOD got a chance to gather any information and their thoughts.
    Pretty difficult to deal with an angry parent cold, without any prior knowledge of the issues.

4. As a general rule, it's a bad idea to pass on awkward customers to superiors. If they want to see your superior they'll tell you soon enough.
    The point is that if you can't deal with them then it's unlikely that a HoD can satisfy them either. So you protect your boss. However it's not really a serious error on your part, it was doubtless an unpleasant experience for HoD and so she wants to lash out. If head speaks to you say, "Yes, with hindsight I realise I should have told them to put it in writing, we weren't going to get any sense out of them in that emotional state. But they were very demanding, and so I made a mistake."

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I actually can't believe this response. The HOD gets paid a lot more money to deal with difficult situations.
    If it was me, I might ave tried to go and speak to the HOD, tell her the issue then bring the parent over to her. However, at a busy parents' evening, when my next appointment it waiting and my HOD is busy speaking to her own appointments, there's not a lot I can do.

6. Angry parents wil demand to see the HoD, the headmaster, the chairman of the governors, the local authority, the Prime Minister, soon enough, of their own accord.