1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling head when applying for new jobs

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, Dec 28, 2018.

1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

Hi wondering if anyone can help, want to apply for a new post closer to home but am nervous about telling head about applying for new jobs. I am really worried by any backlash from my hod. Is an email ok or in person. Have been off this year with wrs so maybe I'm worrying more than i should

Thanks

ATfan likes this.
  2. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

Some conversations are always going to be incredibly difficult and telling your head that you plan on leaving is one of them. Personally, I would try and deliver the news in person but if that is not possible then an email is fine too. At the end of the day, as a member of staff, you have every single right to leave your school in search of a new opportunity; it will happen year in, year out. The mistake you can make is holding off telling the relevant people, that gives them cause to be irritated at you. If you do face a backlash from your HoD or SLT then hold your head high (and keep a very careful record of what happens for the Union...) - the problem is theirs, not yours,

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

My way to approach this has always been to find a job I want to apply for first then go and ask the head if it would be OK for me to put them down for a reference.

4. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

All good advice shown. If you’re still unable to tell the head, just apply for the job and writer his/her name as the referee (tick the box to say not to contact the referee yet). If you’re invited to interview, email the head just in case you’re uncertain of saying anything face to face with a written explanation. Also, expect a day’s unpaid leave when attending the interview (worst case scenario). However, be honest about the amount of absence you’ve experienced and the reason/s why.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. thekillers1

How come?

6. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I understand this sentiment. There is a worry that you’ve “shown your hand” and that you may suffer a change in behaviour from those around you and in charge of you.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You're not a slave! It's just a job. Be a grown-up.

Apply for jobs, and when you've got your first interview just tell the Head you've seen your dream job and have thrown your hat in the ring.

8. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I have always told my head, as professional courtesy, if I have been offered an interview and therefore a reference request will be being made.

I don't see much point before then, not least because I have always tended to be happy in my placed of work and rocking the boat for mere applications seemed unnecessary. If someone is job hunting it has a habit of getting around, so it was more out of concern for how it would affect my colleagues than my relationship with my boss.

But I would want to be the person telling them about the interview rather than then finding out from a reference request!

I have never expected or received anything other than support when informing them of an interview, and that included my most recent move which was prompted by a restructure and them trying to force me in to a promotion I didn't want, including me taking union support to meetings. They were courteous when I told them and congratulatory when I was appointed.

9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

It is an accepted courtesy to tell your HT that you are applying for jobs. I know of one HT who was most upset by learning when a reference request came in.
    So OP as soon as you make the decision to apply.

10. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Hello! I know what you mean as I've been in your situation before. It's hard but I would honestly just tell the HoD once you've filled in the application form. Your reasons for leaving are reasonable so there should be no backlash. If there is, it makes your decision to leave easier as this type of behaviour would be unprofessional. if it helps, I told my HoD in person and got no backlash when I left the job which triggered the WRS, even though the managers there were poor ones (which is why I got the WRS).

Hope this helps and good luck!

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Applying for a job because it is nearer to home is a very reasonable and common reason. No sensible HT or manager will have a problem or take it as a reflection on your current role.

12. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Absolutely.

There’s nothing personal in it. You aren’t offending anyone by implying you don’t like working for them.

Any HoD who might inflict a backlash isn’t worth working for anyway.

13. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

I did that many years ago I just told the head I was homesick which I was, he understood.

agathamorse and install like this.
  14. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

As a HT myself, I always appreciate it more when a colleague comes and actually speaks to me that it is their intention to apply for a new job- I use the opportunity to understand why they are planning on leaving and I try to establish if there is anything I can do to help if they are looking to leave purely based on an issue in the school.

The best thing for you to do is to email the HT and ask if you can arrange a meeting with them in January that is convenient to both of you.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Other points - you may get the HT to help you construct your application or to give you advice (as has always happened in my case); you may be able to ask the HT to make a point of some aspects of your work in the reference.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My own limited experience was of going to tell the Head that I was applying for another job and the dates for interviews. It was useful for me that I had a good reason for wanting the new job (going from 2nd to Hod) and wanting a job nearer home seems equally good. The Head was quite understanding, let me have the interview day paid and gave me a decent reference, and there were no problems when I stayed having not got the job. I think it would have been harder if I had waited for the interview offer before saying anything.

agathamorse, steely1 and ATfan like this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go and see them in the first week back and let them know you love working there, but want a post closer to home. Reassure them, that should you not be successful, you will be more than happy to carry on with your current post, as it is the commute that's the issue not the job itself. It's very early in the year and so there is plenty of time. The vast majority of heads will understand and wish you well. Remember a zillion (approximately) teachers will be doing the exact same thing over the next few months. It's entirely normal.

I've never not been paid for an interview day and indeed for the occasional pre-application visits.

18. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

Thank you for your advice. Its mainly the response from my hod that concerns me (to much to say on here but with other colleagues it's been horrible). Need to leave so I guess I need to just do it and stop procrastinating :)

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds like another good reason for leaving, although probably not one to give at school!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. thekillers1

If the headteacher has an issue with the reasons for leaving, show this illustration:

B9EFED67-8C7C-4646-820B-C1FCB2A50224.jpeg

agathamorse likes this.