1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telling another teacher how to teach? It's a sin, says leading academic

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 27, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yes.

Another teacher can give advice but what works for one teacher will not work necessarily for another.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I'm an atheist - does that mean that I'm allowed to do it?

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Atheists can sin.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

According to Google, a sin is "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law", so I can never sin (at least in my own eyes).

FrankWolley likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You can, in the same sense that you may tour a foreign country and inadvertently break their laws.

9. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I think he's absolutely right about the way teachers discuss things with each other and for a long time it has been my biggest gripe with the way lesson observations are carried out.

There SHOULD be regular discussions between staff about what went well and what they can improve on. There SHOULD be constructive criticism and discourse about how to do things differently/more effectively. This SHOULD happen without fear of admitting you're not sure how to teach a particular idea or how to handle a particular student.

At the moment he is right, feedback tends to be along the lines of "That didn't work, next time do it like this..." which helps no-one, especially when it comes from a non-teaching SLT jobsworth who hasn't taught in the key stage they are criticising or even taught for years.

His stance on testing is much more interesting for debate, especially at far end of the schooling system.

10. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

Current feedback is making us all into follow the latest bull...... Robot. Says a lot about the poor quality of leadership within education.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

In my humble opinion constructive criticism is the way to approach this topic. Start with the good news and then add guarded comments about any weaknesses you thought were present. Putting this in the third person context distances you further from being a critic. " I do not think the children quite understood the point of ...".

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Probably
    I can't yet find the relevant video on the conference site or on youtube though.

My response to such things was "I'm grateful for your advice and would really like to see you demonstrate your techniques"
    An offer that was rarely taken up

needabreak likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

In my experience you never tell folks anything.you suggest..and only when asked.However one can demonstrate a system but its does not mean your experience or even explanation is what the other person needs.

14. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

its all gone pear shaped because those who SUGGEST things are all in SMT or Heads of Department which makes the system aggressive and narsasstic.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I wouldn't dare suggest anything to anyone above me in the system. I just slug along at the bottom rung and hope they don't notice me. Like sharks...

16. red_observer

I'm a bit of a slug too!!!

lanokia likes this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

There is nothing wrong with watching a good teacher teach. You may pick up some good tips and think " that's a good idea I will try that". However, what works for one person may not work for another.

How else do we learn? Watching someone more experienced is the way that I became a better teacher. My PGCE did not really help me and it was not until I was working that my teaching became more confident.

As oldsomeman says you cannot tell someone how to teach you can only suggest.

needabreak likes this.
  18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As a successful HOD I waited to be consulted on challenges staff in the dept had, they identified the issues and then I could suggest that they might like to try different strategies and maybe give them some examples where it has worked for me, if they felt particularly challenged they were always welcome to observe me or each other or other staff, in fact we kind of operated an unofficial open door policy by nature of the way our rooms and then office connected, it worked really well since their back up was pretty much only a short walk away.

Of course it is slightly different for trainees and NQT's since records have to be kept so formal observations were done according to the whole school/borough/training provider programme.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I like this idea... just observing to get tips...

Thing is now, deep down, I can't imagine why anyone would want to observe me to get tips... my confidence in me as a public teacher is shot... I can do the job and get on with the kids but I have no idea what good teaching looks like for me because I'm feel I am constantly told how bad I am. Or historically I have been ... and I can't shake the feeling.

20. red_observer

sounds good in your case. But, sadly I hear and see of stories where the top down approach is used to bully and humiliate. Tells a lot about these people I know but that's no consolation when it happens.