1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tell your children to be careful what they draw!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 11, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ation-fears-boys-cucumber-drawing-cooker-bomb
    [​IMG]

Staff at a nursery school threatened to refer a four-year-old boy to a de-radicalisation programme after he drew pictures they thought showed his father making a “cooker bomb”, according to the child’s mother.

She criticised the handling of the incident by the nursery, which is understood to be a private one in Luton, and said her upset was compounded when she confronted a staff member.

“I said: ‘When you look at me from where do I look like a terrorist?’ … and she said: ‘Well, did Jimmy Savile look like a paedophile?’” the woman told the BBC.

In an emotional interview, she said: “The first time that I even spoke to them they said: ‘Your children might not be taken off you … you can prove yourself innocent.”

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Education really has gone down a cul-de-sac of stupid, hasn't it :(

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Caution - bit sweary

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm more worried that a staff-member even knows what a cooker-bomb IS.

Is there even such a thing?

I'd be reporting the member of staff! Knows far too much about incendiary devices for my liking.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know you're not supposed to start questioning the child yourself but surely common sense dictates that you make sure what you heard is what the child meant. It's the same with safe guarding.

I had a child (5 year old) come up to me and tell me she was tired because Matthew was babysitting and he got into bed with her and she couldn't sleep. Alarm bells started ringing but I asked how old Matthew was. It turned out he was 6 and his Mum and Dad had gone out for the evening - he was being babysat! A simple grammatical error.

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

There was one I heard about-

What primary age boy said: My mum lets me watch the pawn channel.
    What primary teacher heard: My mum lets me watch the **** channel.

What happened that afternoon: Child protection form filled out, social services informed, police called, mum tried to collect children from school, is taken to HT office to meet social worker, police...

What happened over next 3 months: Child and Family (CAF) form, visits from SS, family support workers, interviews with family, friends etc

As teachers we only have a limited experience of the process, but it can go on for ages. Once you are on social services radar, do you ever get off?

SSS

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is the 'pawn channel'?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't get it either. I assume the "pawn channel" is meant to be totally innocent but I can't figure out what it is either.

Lascarina likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Google it! Corrupt your web-search history!

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Are teachers now legally liable if they don't report this sort of thing?

Can't remember... but if they are then don't blame teacher for playing it safe. If they aren't then... my bad.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Probably the one that repeats episodes of "Posh Pawn"

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What's a cooker bomb?

I've just seen a post on FB where someone is bragging that their dad got a tattoo of a drawing they did - he should have been more careful about what he drew.

13. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Aren't we getting this story entirely from the side of the outraged parent? Other viewpoints of the situation may be available.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That is true. Also the words 'school' and 'teacher' are being used and it's a private nursery so not a school and probably a lowly paid child care assistant not a teacher. The police were not involved unlike the story about the child who lived in a 'terrorist house'.