1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

... Tell us about yourself ...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, May 17, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think it really means something like "Tell us how you will enhance teaching and learning in our school." Or "What do you have that you can give to us?"

That sort of thing.

2. Thanks minnieminx, how you have worded it really helps. Guessed it was a bit of a 'coded' question!

3. Be yourself for a start. It's a warm up question to relax you (talking about yourself is an easy subject), as interviewers only want to get the best out of interviewees and put them at ease.
    We usually expect to hear your career / education / experience to date ( quite succinctly) and what motivated you to choose teaching. Any other interesting details which you feel could add depth or be of use to the school you could include. We don't need every detatil of your teaching practise ( if you are an NQT), just how you've enjoyed it and how it confrimed you made the right career choice etc. Try to avoid any negatives I had one candidate once go on at length about the fact she had accidentally fallen pregnant twice and this disrupted her course etc - there's ways to phrase things I think! If you are looking for sideways move - detail your motivation for change. If its a promotion we want to hear what you have achieved in your last place (outlined again though).
    Well done for getting an interview - we have a vacancy in our school and so far we have sent out 170 on-line applications!
    Good luck