1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your Reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rainbowstripes, Feb 4, 2012.

1. If you would like to, please answer my questions below! Would be nice to peep into the lives of some fellow EY staff!
    1. How many children in your class?
    2. Do you have any additional support... If so who & when?
    3. Do you work with a parallel class? If so, are you identical? Do you get on well with fellow teacher?
    4. What is your fav thing about your classroom & class?

X

2. I have 37 children in my class. There is meant to be 3 adults at any one time but due to staffing it doesn't always work out this way and we are often left with me and 1 TA. I don't work with a parallel class but there is another teacher who shares the class with me. We get on really well, we are both flexible and up for trying new ideas which helps. Last year I wasn't so lucky and worked in a school which had 2 Reception classes which was run as a unit. The other teacher liked her way of doing things and that was it. My fav thing... the class is lovely, always wanting to please and try their best. I really enjoy working with our team in EY we get on so well and everyday is full of fun. x

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm sorry, I can't help it, I've got to correct this.
    There are meant to be 3 adults at any one time...
    2 Reception classes which were run as a unit.
    We are teachers and these things are important.

4. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I have 14 kids. Working overseas I have an Indonesian and Chinese Partner teacher and a TA. There is a parallel class but we do not do identical things. Favourite thing about my class are that I have the most wonderful kids ... always wanting to please me and they are intrinsic, curious learners who love learning!!!

5. Hi, I work in a small primary - only 1 reception class, no nursery.
    There are 23 children, I have 1 TA who is near enough full time, I also have a NVQ student 3 days and a volunteer 1 day.
    This year my class are all lovely and I'm really enjoying working with them.
    On a practical basis, my favourite thing about my classrom is that I have room to seperate space for the children to have a quite busy area and a quieter space.

6. I also work in an international school. I have got 18 children (19 tomorrow!!) I have a full time TA who is amazing. I work in a 4 stream school, we plan together and we mostly do the same activities but we are free to deviate if we want
    My fav thing is how I have so many children from different countries in my class and that at the beginning of the year I had 5 absolute beginners in English and now for the most part they are beginning to talk in English which is wonderful to see!

7. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Yes that's a wonderful feeling seeing non native speakers beginning to use their emerging skills - I have some too and I just love seeing their progress and joy in being able to communicate in English!

8. I work in a small rural Church school. I have 30 kids in my class, TA nearly fulltime (and will be from April) she is brilliant and we have since realised that we were at college together doing our NNEB's ( I went onto teaching 5 years later)
    I have a wonderful retired voluntary helper (NNEB too) 3 days a week plus a student 2/3 days a week. We do have lots of help.
    I have a great class and as this is my first year teaching EYFS I'm so happy that they are eager learners. I have a boy who we suspect is on the autistic spectrum and although hard work he is such a lovely boy and makes us laugh!
    The best thing about my classroom is looking outside and seeing sheep/horses in the fields and having such a big classroom with a decent outdoor space!
    Lou

9. Hello, I'm looking for teachers who have in their classes children from Poland (or from other countries). This year I am writing my licenciate about adaptation of Polish students to the foreign school environment.I looking for teachers who could spare a few minutes of time to fill in questionnaire. I will be very grateful for any help. Thank you. Link to the online questionnaire: http://moje-ankiety.pl/respond-19653.html

10. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I have 30 FS2 children, I work in a very diverse, multi-ethnic,church of england school, we have 7 different home languages spoken in my class and 17 across the school. I have one (almost) full-time TA, and two days a week a 2nd TA (but she is more with me as damage limitation, does very little and often creates me more hassle and work)
    I am the only FS2 class, all the other year groups are paired y1-2 are straight year groups but plan together, then we have 2 mixed 3/4 classes and a 5/6 class with two teachers for the 38 children in 5/6. so I am all on my tod.
    I have a range of SEN and EAL children. My class is very boy heavy and rather full of life. They are an average mix of abilities.
    I have a final placement student in at the moment and am withdrawing to allow her to be in role as 'teacher', my class were having none of it while I was in the room and kept coming to me when she was trying to teach, but now everytime I go into teach it causes complete chaos as they all just want to be with me and tell me all their news. What it is to be loved.
    I am working hard rewritting subject area policies and mentoring the students and I am missing my class desperately I can not wait for the next five weeks to be over so I can get my babies back.
    I adore my class noisy, boisterous and rather rough and tumble and all.