1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your kitchen please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I am going to have a good sort out of my (small) kitchen today.
    I have way too many jars and tins that take up the biggest cupboard.
    On my worktop I have out: my panini maker, sandwich toaster, slow cooker, very large saucepan I use for making chillis etc, Tassimo machine and a holder for the pods, kettle, toaster, utensil jars. If I used up some of the many tins and jars a lot of that could go away.
    Questions to discuss:
    Does anyone keep an ‘inventory’ of what they have in their cupboards? I seem to buy stuff when I see it on offer (pulses, chopped tomatoes, soup etc) but when I get home I realise I have another 6.
    Where do you keep your cookery books?
    What do you keep out on your worktops?
    How many mugs does one person realistically need?

Your replies will help me this afternoon so thank you in advance! X

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

[​IMG]

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I have limited cupboard and worktop space so I have to be mega organised! How many of those machines do you regularly use? Could they be stored elsewhere? As for food, I’ve learnt to buy enough for the week with just a few staples in the cupboard and freezer. Cookery books are kept on a bookshelf in the spare room (not that they get used very often...) and extra china is stored in boxes in the loft. I’m on my own so don’t need a great deal but I’ve got enough to cater for five!

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We bought some wire shelves from Magnet and Mr F fitted them in some of the base unit cupboards. Tins, jars, packets can be stored in those, meaning that base cupboards with larger spaces are used for appliances.

The coffee machine, toaster, kettle and chopping boards are on the worktop. Because there are items in the wire shelves, it’s easy to pull out one at a time to check contents and sell by dates.
    The shelves are in runners btw.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I am an obsessive list maker but I know what's in my kitchen cupboards food-wise so don't need one for that.
    I keep my most-used cookery book in the kitchen. All the others are with most of my other books in the spare room.
    On the worktop: Kitchen Aid food processor (huge), toaster, kettle, microwave, spice rack, utensil jar, kitchen roll, fish tank (also huge), tea and coffee making stuff, bread bin, knife block, spoon rest.
    Unless you wash your cup after every use, I'd say 6 plus a couple of guest ones.
    Inside my cupboards I have those step shelves so you see easily what jars and cans you have.
    My kitchen is massive so this is probably not much help!

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I luckily have a reasonably large kitchen, and also moved here last September so the decluttering was done. I probably still have some utensils and pans that never got and never get used.

7. Over_the_hill

I definitely need to reduce my ‘stock’ to 2 each of tuna, sweetcorn, soup, beans, kidney beans, tomatoes etc. I would take a photo of how much I’ve got but it would be embarrassing. I know eldest is poor and always hungry so will take a bag full when I go and visit later this week.
    I’ve also got 4 quite narrow drawers (in a column) that I don’t know what to put in. I’ve got tea towels in one but the rest are not used!

agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No. But I think it was @magic surf bus that terrified me with talk of a spreadsheet of tinned goods.

My cookbooks are on a shelf in the kitchen, there's an original built in cupboard that has the black hole of supermarket bags, meters and sideboard below, then a space for books and crockery above.

Out I have toaster, kettle, salt and pepper, gin, squash, butter dish, chopping boards, random bits that I haven't put away. The magimix, microwave and coffee machine live with my hot box on the side above the dish washer and washing machine in a separate built on bit of the kitchen.

Mugs. Hmmm. However many fit in the cupboard.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We have a small kitchen so we have to be organised. Pans are hung on the wall above the sink. Cookery books are in the cellar. The toaster is in the dining room. Only the coffee maker gets to be out in the kitchen because I use it every day. Anything that doesn't need to be in the kitchen isn't in the kitchen. We have a whistling kettle on the hob which we love and which, because we have an induction hob, is faster and a lot nicer to look at than an automatic one. Our freezer and spare fridge (only room for a little one in the kitchen! and washing machine and dryer are all in the cellar too. No inventories. I really on memory! We have loads of mugs but only the ones we use are gettatable.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

A good space saving tip for mugs is throw them all away and replace with two large Sports Direct mugs, one for drinking everything from, and one for bathing in. And in times of flooding, such as yesterday, the second mug can also be used for speed bailing out of the front porch.

Unless, of course, you have many Denby mugs, in which case why have you never posted a thread on here stating that fact of having arrived?

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I am lucky enough to have a whole new kitchen. We knocked the dining room and kitchen together so I did lose a lot of storage as no sideboard or display cabinet now. I have taken boxloads of stuff to oxfam. Anything I had multiples of, such as 14 ramekin dishes, were reduced down. I decided that only the absolute minimum of appliances would be out so only the kettle and toaster are on the worktop. My food processor is in a kitchen cupboard as is the sandwich toaster. My old balance scales went to Oxfam and were replaced by a small electronic scale. The room now has a corner sofa, dining table, TV and an island unit so is a living space . The lack of clutter on the work tops helps to give a calm atmosphere. I realise I am lucky to have a large space but also know that if we had not changed the room my cupboards would still be stacked with the countless unnecessary items. Be ruthless with what you hang onto and acquire.

12. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

Everything is away in cupboards, apart from the coffee machine, kettle, knife block, fruit bowl and a vase of fresh flowers. There are various plant pots around on window sills, plus a ceramic apple compost collector.

You only need half a dozen mugs that match. The rest can be culled.

13. Over_the_hill

I’ve got a three tiered steamer which I used to absolutely love but the handle on the lid broke off so now if I use it I burn myself trying to take the lid off. I know I should chuck it really but it seems wasteful.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Chuck it. Burns aren't ideal.

15. install

install Star commenter

I follow these approaches:

Within each cupboard space, it's important to buy in another shelf if there is wasted space.

Example of one cupboard:All tinned food on middle shelf facing forwards with label clearly show. Tea, coffee, fruit teas, sugar, all on lower shelf in see through jars.Top shelf might then be cooking stuff eg rice, pasta, spices.

Cookery books in other room with other books.Worktops - keep clear - except for the obvious kettle, toaster, chopping board. And of course flowers and a bowl of fruit. Imho the general feel should be one of space, cleanliness, comfort , organisation and calm.

No inventory. Mugs, glasses and anything else that isn't used at least once every 6 months leaves the kitchen.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  16. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

1 person likes this.
  17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

On the worktop I have toaster, kettle, microwave, spice rack and knife block, everything else is put away. I prefer clear surfaces and would happily put everything out of sight if only eldest son would play along!

18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

One great find was clear perspex fridge storage trays from Sainsbury’s- I use them in the narrow kitchen cupboards for my oils, vinegars etc.

19. Over_the_hill

@lynneseptember its the second one I’ve had with the same problem (the first one was still under guarantee but I’ve had this one for years now). As one child is gone and one will be gone in a year or so, I might replace it with something smaller like this. This is a better design as the handles are at the side, not at the top next to the steam holes, so the heat melts the glue off. E340906F-B2F5-4F8A-8B33-F99FA31D3A44.jpeg

Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.
  20. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I've got a bloke in the kitchen. He's painting it. He's also tripping over the dogs' water bowls. He keeps doing it. Something has just fallen and clattered loudly. The bloke is a bit grumpy.

Mugs-too many it's beyond ridiculous.