1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your jewellery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I spend loads on jewellery but to be honest am running out of space to keep it. I always wear pearls, small studs in each ear and then another pair of something usually dangly. I love bangles and bracelets, usually pearls but not always. Don't normally wear an ankle bracelet - but I could be persuaded to get one! In latter years for some reason I have not been wearing so many necklaces. What do you wear?

2. I spend loads on jewellery but to be honest am running out of space to keep it. I always wear pearls, small studs in each ear and then another pair of something usually dangly. I love bangles and bracelets, usually pearls but not always. Don't normally wear an ankle bracelet - but I could be persuaded to get one! In latter years for some reason I have not been wearing so many necklaces. What do you wear?

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I alternate between diamond earrings and black pearl earrings.Up until a couple of weeks ago I never wore a necklace but this summer have taken to wearing a light gold chain...

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I very rarely wear any jewellery apart from a pair of tiny hoop earrings, which I go in phases with. After about 6 months or so I remember to take them off.

When it's a special occasion (such as a wedding or Christmas do), I wear a necklace and dangly earrings, usually, and sometimes a bracelet too. All are homemade to match the outfit and occasion.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a small selection of silver pendant necklaces and silver earrings.
    I don't like to have too many because it takes too long before I can wear a favourite again and they are all my favourites. I pick things up if I see them and I like them. Several bits are purple and several are Rennie Mackintosh inspire.
    Fortunately for me I am allergic to gold so I have to stick with the cheaper silver.

6. I am a cheap and cheerful girl!
    I have 7 sterling silver hoops in my ears (1 is stud at the moment, as the dog ate one of the hoops!). I never remove them! I have been given beautiful earrings as gifts, earrings that match (expensive) bracelets and necklaces but I like what I have and they remain in their boxes!
    I have a silver watch and a silver ring, both of which my oh gave me and I always wear.
    I used to wear a gold, diamond ring (it was my grans) but I find at work my fingers swell up in the heat and as the ring is a snug fit, it gets uncomfortable. I also have a variety of other cheap rings that I've liked and bought, but I tend not to wear them!
    I seem to have swapped necklaces for scarves in recent years, but I have hundreds - pearls, beads, gold, silver, wooden, cheap and tacky - you name it! What I wear varies depending on mood/outfit/occasion.
    I also have a box full of bangles. No expensive, good quality ones, all cheap and tacky, but a few funky ones. They only tend to get outings on nights out as they bang off desks and keyboards and annoy me!

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Cast-iron Prince Albert and a diamond eyelid stud

8. In school I took a bangle off because it was getting on my nerves. I was doing a student obs and not in my room. I later remembered it and found it priced up for the Cristmas Bazaar. 10p. I was not amused...
    Doom, you sound like my kind of guy.[​IMG]

9. Tell me about your jewellery
    Are you a burglar?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think I've only ever bought 3 items of jewellery for myself - a diamond ring bought with an inheritance (I've never worn it as I went off it almost as soon as I bought it), a glass ring bought from GOMA for about £5 (less if I remember correctly) and a necklace I bought for a Christmas present for my aunt forgetting I'd already bought her something (reduced in McKays).
    I've worn the glass ring quite often and people often comment on it (positively) and the necklace is now one of many which I wear regularly to work. Because I've a tendency to wear plain jumpers to work (usually plain v necks or black polo neck) I wear big, cheap and cheerful necklaces to break them up a bit.
    Most of my necklaces come from wee shops in and around St Andrew's as my mum buys them for me for birthdays and Christmases.
    I used to have a few nice, expensive pieces but I lost them all when I was burgled and haven't replaced them.

11. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I have a few 'good' pieces, mostly earrings but I love costume jewellery. Don't tend to wear much for work but defo of a weekend and going out.
    Storage is the biggest problem, anyone got any good ideas? One of my friends screwed a wooden coat hanger thingy with round knobs to her bedroom wall and painted it white to hang the necklaces - looks good.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I screwed cup hooks onto the wooden frame of an old mirror on a stand (dressing table size) and hang my necklaces on them - I keep threatening to get a bigger one so that I don't have to have so many on each hook but haven't got round to it.

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I own one nice ring (sapphire and diamond) which my ex bought me and I still wear as it is the only 'good' piece of jewellery I own. Otherwise I feel naked without earrings and have several silver pairs which i alternate, mainly celtic or nature inspired, current ones are leaves. I sometimes wear silver pendants to match the earrings. Otherwise just a watch as i hate bangles and bracelets, too irritating.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I haven't got any
    (Sob)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've got half a dozen silver rings of which I always wear at least one. I've got a gold and jet mourning ring from 1815 with a lock of hair in. I have a heavy silver chain and a Tiffany silver bracelet. Apart from these I have umpteen cheap and colourful necklaces and bracelets that hang on a row of hooks in my bedroom. I have a house alarm so if you're burglar Bill don't think you can say ,'I'll 'ave that'.

16. Oh! I am such a magpie.
    I have a small collection of silver chains and pendants, amber, green amber, turquoise, all at least 1" long.
    I have bracelets to go with them, and earrings too! And 4 silver bangles. I like to jingle!
    That's my grown up collection.

Then I have other silver stuff with a daisy motif - 3 necklaces, 3 bracelets and 4 or 5 pairs of earrings.
    Then I have the junk jewellery, all sorts of big chunky, colourful stuff.
    And a small, but growing, collection of older paste jewellery from antiques fairs.

As for keeping it all I have a lovely treen box (weird shape, small drawers) and some other treen that I drape things off, including a pig with 4 coat hooks (about 20 inches long piggy).
    I am in the middle of constructing a pin board to attach a growing collection of odd hooks to!

The only things I don't wear are rings, my kernackered hands don't deal well with them!
    I should be ashamed of myself!

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have a sapphire and diamond bracelet which my ex bought me when I had eldest son ( which I wear on special occasions) and a sapphire and diamond half eternity which he bought on birth of youngest ( which I wear all the time) together with a diamond and opal ring. I also wear a diamond and sapphire pendant and earings almost constantly( bought by sons!). I have several strings of pearls from my Grandma-which I don't wear often enough- and matching earrings. I don't usually wear silver ( although my lovely yr 6's bought me a Pandora bracelet at the end of term so will have to start!) so either gold or bright and colourful "cheapies" I have 3 jewellery boxes and can NEVER find what I'm looking for, I need organising!

18. Ooh some lovely joowels by the soudn of it! In this weather I often wear a little strappy nightie if I am not going far ( close neighbours are not easily distressed). I have been to the gym today and got very hot, haven't showered yet. and my hair does not look at its best. am currently modelling my latest acquisition earrings-wise - dangly drops which must be at least four inches long. GArdener just came to the door and I stood chatting with him for a while. Just caught sight of myself - I do look a ducky!
    I have a jewellery box which was my Mum's and a small cabinet -type which my cleaner gave me. She also got me an earring holder in perspex which is like a room screen thing (only smaller, obviously) where you hang earrings up. Another cheap pink satin box from wilkinsons. Two freestanding cabinets lined in that stuff that is supposed to prevent tarnishing. A drawer of the bed is also full. Ridiculous, but it gives me so much pleasure. I spend ages in the morning matching jewellery to outfit. I am not that keen on stones. Much prefer pearls.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have a few lovely pieces and lots of 'fun' costume jewellery....bit of magpie me!
    My nice stuff includes my yellow diamond and platinum engagement ring, and a yellow and white diamond tennis bracelet to match. I like coloured diamonds and have ap air of princess cut 3ct pink diamond earrings (wedding present) and a suite of black and white diamonds (ring, bangle, pendant and earrings) that I bought for myself a few years ago. I also have two antique 18ct gold horses, one pendant and a brooch, gifts from my Mum and my auntie as I love horses.
    Everyday I wear a yellow gold and a white gold Bulgari zero pendants together on a chain. I have the matching rings but rarely wear them now. I also have a Pandora bracelet my OH gave me for valentine's day, which has all silver and gold charms, no glass or stones.
    My watches are also considered jewellery and I have a Cartier screw head love bangle to wear with a matching watch, and I own two Rolexes.....I am a lucky girl and all this will pass on to my own daughter in due course. It has been collected over many years and I enjoy it.
    My other favourite piece is a ring I've had about 5 years now. It is very similar in size to Kate M's engagement ring but hte oval centre stone is a 5 carat spessartite garnet......bright orange. Very nice but I only wear it on rare occassions.
    There are a few other bits too, including two pairs of 'tusk' earrings by a desinger who's name escapes me at the mo, but they are really lovely!
    I shall be wearing my black and white diamonds this Monday......for my Dad x

20. My rings and the posh earrings I never wear are in a small jewellery box I've had for as long as I can remember.
    Necklaces are all hanging on 2 cream, wire 'shabby chic' corsets which are on the wall.
    Bangles are in a magazine rack!
    I'm trying to find something similar to the corsets on which to hang/store my scarves, but not seen anything I fancy for that yet.