1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about wheel barings.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

My wheel barings have 'gone'.
    I can tell because my car is now making a humming sound when it moves, which gets deeper and louder, the faster it gets.
    I have a few questions about wheel barings. Please read to the end.
    1. What are they?
    2. What do they do?
    3. Where do they go? [I know its somewhere near the wheels, else why call them 'wheel' barings?]
    4. Why do they make the car hum when they 'go'?
    5. Having had new wheel barings 6 months ago, why did they 'go' again after just 3 months?

I am more than slightly agrieved that the car has to go and have these mended yet again.
    [tis an 04 Renault Megane CC]

Thank you for reading. [​IMG]

/
    6. Having replaced the first faulty [?] new wheel barings, how come the newest replacements have also 'gone' - also after 3 months?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

bearings

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Wheel bearings (note the spelling) allow a wheel ro rotate around a fixed axle or axle stub. In other words, the axle stays fixed while the wheel can rotate smoothly.
    Most common wheel bearings are of a type called a 'ball race'. You can probably see how one works.

[​IMG]

When the ball bearings in the ball race get worn, they cease to be spherical and this causes the noise.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Perhaps your car hums because it doesn't know the words

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not changed a set of bearing since the days I owned an Austin Allegro! And on that one it was possible to tighten the bearings to take up the slack!

Firstly who has told you it is the bearings? Is it someone reliable?

Does the pitch of the hum change continuously as you accellerate of does it start low again each time you change gear?

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mine does that - the bloke at the garage said it was the "engine"

7. Took

Took New commenter

I just spent £300 on my car because my rear wheel bearings went so don't leave them to get worse!
    I thought it was the brakes as it screamed everytime i touched the brake pedal but apparantly it was the bearings. They had been going for 1000s of miles but only become obvious recently. However, as they got worse they wore my tyres down and therefore I had to buy two new tyres! So annoying!
    No idea what they are or what they do but they are pesky little ***!

8. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks, Oldie. Mr Imp is booking it in for a service and work to the bearings tomorrow.
    [He does work for a large car maintenance company, not a small one man band type of establishment - so they should be more than competant to sort it out.]