1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telephoning a school after sending out letters!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Gem_T, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hi!

I've been spending the last couple of days calling schools to make enquiries into GTP's. I am finding that it definitely the better way to it. The worst response I have received is that "No the school does not participate" or " You need to speak to headteacher, I'd recommend emailing them. Here is their direct email address"

Most of the time I have been asked for my name and contact details and told someone will ring me back. I'm planning on giving them a couple of days to so before ringing again.

Don't be afraid to call them. Unfortunately it is one of the few ways to get any where with any form job hunting or training course at the moment. I also believe that it shows determination and genuine interest. Keep going and you'll get somewhere eventually. :)

2. Definitely call! I only got my placement because I called the head to check he had received my letter. His response was 'I have two letters from people enquiring about placements, but as you've called, lets talk'. The result was I got an interview the following week and am now in a lovely school. Very busy, very stressed, but very happy!
    I found that a lot of heads I spoke to before I got my placement genuinely hadn't read my email or letter - there is so much paperwork that things often get lost or given to the wrong people. It is always worth a call - the worse they can say is no, and it makes you look a lot more proactive if you call them. I would always try and have a look at their website first though, so you have something to talk about if you do find yourself talking to the head.
    Good luck!

L