1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telephone scam?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ambi, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ambi

ambi New commenter

I feel a right idiot and so naive but thought I would ask advice on here and maybe warn others. Was phoned today at tea time(good timing when people are busy and off-guard) A company doing survey on behalf of electrical company. Which make of TV have I got ?- (choose from a list.) When was it bought? (give a time slot(last 6 months/ 1 year ago etc.) I blithely gave the info in a hurry to get off the phone. They knew my address and obviously my phone number and name. As soon as I got off the phone I realised they were probably some gang who were trying to find potential places to break into to steal stuff- or is this me being too dramatic and suspicious?) I immediately phoned 1471 to see if there was a number and surprisingly there was but unsurprisingly the number was unobtainable! I feel such a fool as usually I am quite careful and I feel sick that my house might well be targeted. Tomorrow I was going to inform the police but don't know if they will be able to do anything. Also was thinking of contacting a locksmith to put deadlocks on front and back door(expensive) but we have patio windows that could be smashed.
    a) Am I being paranoid?
    b) what else could I do?
    I know i should have just put phone down straight away - what an idiot - I really am kicking myself and beating myself up. I just feel sick at the thought of people doing this sort of stuff.

2. ambi

ambi New commenter

I feel a right idiot and so naive but thought I would ask advice on here and maybe warn others. Was phoned today at tea time(good timing when people are busy and off-guard) A company doing survey on behalf of electrical company. Which make of TV have I got ?- (choose from a list.) When was it bought? (give a time slot(last 6 months/ 1 year ago etc.) I blithely gave the info in a hurry to get off the phone. They knew my address and obviously my phone number and name. As soon as I got off the phone I realised they were probably some gang who were trying to find potential places to break into to steal stuff- or is this me being too dramatic and suspicious?) I immediately phoned 1471 to see if there was a number and surprisingly there was but unsurprisingly the number was unobtainable! I feel such a fool as usually I am quite careful and I feel sick that my house might well be targeted. Tomorrow I was going to inform the police but don't know if they will be able to do anything. Also was thinking of contacting a locksmith to put deadlocks on front and back door(expensive) but we have patio windows that could be smashed.
    a) Am I being paranoid?
    b) what else could I do?
    I know i should have just put phone down straight away - what an idiot - I really am kicking myself and beating myself up. I just feel sick at the thought of people doing this sort of stuff.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I've had at least six of those calls over the summer. They are usually from abroad and I think the idea is to sell you maintenance insurance.
    Did they ask for your bank details?
    I never get that far as I simply say I'm not prepared to tell them which TV I have and GOODBYE!
    I had a different one today form a firm called something Lifestyles. After establishing that I was Mrs jubilee, she proceeded to ask whatmy health was like. I don't intend discussing my health with a stranger, thank you". Down went the phone.

4. Probanly nothing will happen, I shouldn't worry, but you are right to say you shouldn't have given out anyinformation. I did something similar last year. it turned out it was someone doing some unauthorised butharmless market research. Like you I was kicking myself and very worried, but there were no consequences, other than I learnt to be a lot more cautious.

5. I hate it when my bank or credit card company ring up, then say "can you just confirm your identity before we go any furhter...." I always say no! then get the fallout "but we do need to contact you,and we can't go any turther without you confirming your name and address....
    I just say I don't give out personal information on the phone. It amazes me that banks expect us to

6. ambi

ambi New commenter

Thanks for comments. I didn't give any bank details but just wondered if it could be some gang or something! It did sound like someone foreign possibly working in a call centre but who knows?

7. "what are calling about?"
    "what are you selling?"

Usually they ring off
    Without being totally rude, being pretty abrpt usally resolves the situation - they stay on the line only if they're determined blaggers or proper somethings

and the proper somethings usually aren't stuff I'm interested in

8. I'm suspicious of all and never speak to cold callers except to demand where they got my number from (I'm ex directory).
    Beware emails too. I got one from my 'bank' saying there had been some unusual activity on my account and unless I clicked on the link to verify my identity then my account would be disabled at close of business.
    I can see how that might panic some people thinking their account would be closed. My OH works for said bank so I forwarded him the email which he confirmed was not genuine.
    I was fuming.... you really have to be careful....

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

A good way to get people off the phone quickly is to hang up....

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I despise this! They seem to think that because they've told y ou they are from the bank etc that you'll just accept that as gospel truth and merrily give away all your information. I always tell them that if it's urgent they can send me a letter and I'll respond.
    I had a call like this from a company I recently took out credit with. They called me up and then asked me to confirm my name, address and the bank account/sort code I'd set up my direct debit from. I told them I wasn't nearly stupid enough to give out that information. I offered to call them back via their switchboard, but they claimed that they worked in an outgoing calls only call centre...hmmmmmm.

11. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I have one simple rule: I never give ANY information to anyone who calls me. I simply say "if i thought you needed this information I would have called you." and don't be afraid to HANG UP - it's not like you're going to hurt their feelings, is it?!

12. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

My BiL had that one. He answered that he was very fit thank-you. When asked what he did to keep fit, he answered that he consulted a witch doctor every day and that he'd been given a little doll to stick pins in whenever he got stupid calls. The caller laughed and rang off.

13. If you register with TPS you shouldn't be getting any of these unsolicited calls. Occasionally a call still comes through and I usually deal with them by letting them know that I'm registered with TPS and that they have no right to contact me by phone. I then hang up.

14. Agree with Perdita - TPS registration does work - google it. Doesn't stop calls from companies you are with but you don't get random calls. Worth doing.

Getting sash jammers fitted is worth it anyway, especially if you have old locks on patio doors. Better still get new locks that can't be bumped out. Local police are really pushing this here as old locks are featuring in lots of burglaries here. Hopefully the OPs call wasn't anything too sinister but improving security is good anyway.

15. If, as is usual, the caller tells you, in a thick, north Indian accent, that his name is Algernon (or something equally outdated and Wodehousian), just keep repeating 'koi hai' (anyone there?).

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That's exactly what I do.
    If you're with BT then just call them up on 150 and ask to be registered with the TPS.
    Our local paper reported a scam about this with someone calling up and saying there was a £99 charge to be with the TPS. That's rubbish, it's free.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My mother is still laughing at what happened to her (unlikeable) cousin.
    He was at some conference and left his briefcase in a room whilst he went for coffee. When he returned it had been nicked and in it was his wallet, phone, etc.
    He went straight home and when he got home, he was called by 'the bank' saying they knew he'd had his cards nicked and could he just verify his security details. He'd just finished doing this when his wife ran in, shouting 'You nerk! What are you doing?' or words to that effect.
    Yes - they'd found 'home' on his phone, called and got his details and immediately cleared out his current acount.

18. ambi

ambi New commenter

I am already registered with TPS so don't know how these people have got this info. I will certainly follow advice on here in future - I usually am more careful- just an off moment but that is all it takes!

19. Tps has had *** all effect for us. We still get constant calls.

20. karentee

karentee New commenter

I'm with TPS but still get a fair few calls, I would hate to think how many I would have if i wasn't registered with them. If you can get the number and name of the 'company' calling you and pass it to TPS they can add it to their list (or whatever it is they do!) I had one from a company called Toucan last week telling me my bank had recently illegally increased my credit limit on my credit card...really? And how would they know if they had?