1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telephone interview

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cendrillon nqt, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Hi
    Im just after some advice. I have been working abroad for a while and am moving back to the UK in December. Im wondering if any schools would employ a teacher (nqt) after just a telephone interview? Im was really hoping to find a job starting for January but realise it may be difficult as I wont be able to attend interviews that are coming up in October or November. Is it worth applying or wait until I return to UK? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

2. Hi
    Im just after some advice. I have been working abroad for a while and am moving back to the UK in December. Im wondering if any schools would employ a teacher (nqt) after just a telephone interview? Im was really hoping to find a job starting for January but realise it may be difficult as I wont be able to attend interviews that are coming up in October or November. Is it worth applying or wait until I return to UK? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

3. Hi,

I too am in my first year of teaching and overseas so looking for an NQT position in the UK with a telephone interview. I was beginning to think it wasn't possible, but I have a phone interview tomorrow, so they are clearly willing to do it or they wouldn't have bothered!
    I just hope it goes well, its a really good school!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Honestly, I doubt it. Many schools require you to deliver a lesson as part of the process.

5. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I have seen first interviews carried out by phone (esp. when the candidate is abroad), and - if a vacancy is hard to fill - it may be the only way...

NB - teaching a lesson on interview wasn't common until the late 1990s in many schools...I had several jobs over nearly 20 years before ever having to do one..

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Agreed, sometimes it is possible. That doesn't make it likely.
    Also, we are now in the 2010s. So unless the candidate is planning to apply for a job via time machine, a lesson would be "usual". [​IMG]

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Only a head desperate to fill a post would do it these days.
    Consider why the head might be desperate.

8. Very good point from Middlemarch.
    I would look at signing up with agencies for contracts lasting two terms. We have used agencies just before Christmas when staff have left suddenly. An agency may be more willing to undertake a telephone interview, or could you get back for one agency interview which might then open doors to several positions?

9. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

maybe if you had been recommended by someone with a bit of authority. I know someone this happened to