1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Telephone Interview for Dubai Job

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Ceecees, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for jobs in Dubai. I have received a request from one large education company for an initial telephone interview. Was wondering if anyone had advice on what questions I should expect and also the types of things I should not miss out on asking them?

I will anticipate the usual questions: Why us? Why Dubai? Etc. So I'm looking for more 'what I should not forget to ask', as I have not worked abroad or in Dubai before.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Don't forget to ask what the salary is :) And is housing offered or do you have to rent your own, which can be expensive to set up I believe.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Keep salary stuff for the second interview, if you get one, it is a common thing in international schools to have two. One where they ask about you, then the second to discuss other stuff, and offer the position. If its a half decent school then they should be upfront about what is included in the "package", if its not, then be careful. I would ask about class sizes, resources, extra curricular obligations, general class expectations. This would vary obviously depending on your subject area or school level. International job interviews in my experience tend to be a lot less formal than the UK. they should be looking to see if you will fit into the school and the wider community. Remember that is expensive and quite a risk to hire someone like this. If you end up hating it and want to leave it could cost them a lot replace you. International life is very different to working in the UK, and its not for everyone.

Good luck

Ceecees and zdaea like this.
  4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Don't ask for salary in the first telephone interview. All this will be included in the offer before you agree to anything should you be successful.

5. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

Thanks all for the advice. Got a second interview, so fingers crossed.