1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

TEFL to real teaching - Advice needed (UK)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jordan-1989, Feb 22, 2018.

  1. jordan-1989

    jordan-1989 New commenter


    I’m just wondering if many of you have worked abroad teaching English without being a certified teacher at first and then used this experience to come home and get certified. Was the experience abroad considered useful at all?

    I’ve been teaching in China for 3 years, I have an unrelated degree (law) and CELTA. I’m thinking about coming back to either do a PGCE or one of the routes to QTS in the UK. After teaching for 3 years I know it’s what I want to do for a career.

    I haven’t seen much on this particular topic so any information or advice would be welcome.
  2. bluebird39

    bluebird39 New commenter

    In terms of a PGCE application, it shows some evidence of your passion for working with children, but they would expect you to have had some recent paid or voluntary experience (even short term) of a U.K. primary/secondary school so you’re aware of how these schools work, and experience with students.

    When I did my PGCE, I had some experience of charity work with students at university and then I did two weeks in a secondary school and two weeks in a primary school, just helping out and observing various elements.

    If you have a look at the university webpage you’ll be able to see the pre-interview experience requirements for that institution.

    Others may be able to give more specific advice.
    jordan-1989 likes this.
  3. lunarita

    lunarita Senior commenter

    When I applied for PGCE I had been working in an unrelated field and wasn't expected to have had any experience of working in schools - that may be only because I offer a shortage subject and maybe the entrance requirements vary according to subject and to establishment.

    What I really came here to say is, when you consider the various routes to qualification, bear in mind that some aren't recognised in all countries so the PGCE is the best bet I think if you want to return overseas.

    However also bear in mind that for teaching overseas, some countries demand (for visa requirements) that you have a degree in the subject you are teaching.

    Keep as many options open as possible.
    jordan-1989 likes this.

Share This Page