1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

TEFL Qualification

Discussion in 'Independent' started by cee shell, Nov 25, 2011.

  1. Any suggestions as to a good EFL or EAL qualification for working in 3 - 18 Independent sector. I have special needs qualifications and would like to be able to cover EAL as well.
  2. sprite

    sprite New commenter

    I have the CELTA and MA-TESL. the CELTA takes a month of full-time study, or can be done part-time, and includes 12 hours of supervised teaching with feedback. Demanding but worth it--i've had some friends say that the CELTA taught them more than the PGCE (whatever it's called!) Whatever you go for, make sure it includes actual supervised teachign. lots of companies are happy to take your money and send you grammar worksheets on teh internet.
    i think you're wise; with the growth of international schools (home office-willing) and immigration to the UK, there's a definite overlap between ESL and SEN/Special Needs.

  3. lapinrose

    lapinrose Star commenter

    You can also do TESOL, the two are regarded as interchangeable for work purposes.
    I did CELTA in 94 and the work is so much more pleasureable.

Share This Page