1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEFL qualification needed to teach abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Abijess23, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Abijess23

Abijess23 New commenter

Hi,
    I am a fully qualified and experienced primary school teacher in the UK. I am beginning to look into teaching abroad and am curious about the role of the TEFL qualification. I have read in different places that this is either irrelevant, an asset or vital for finding a job overseas and I'm confused! Does anyone know what the truth is about this qualification??
    Thanks in advance

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

It could be any of the above. Even if the employer doesn't ask for it, you will find it very useful for teaching non-native speakers. It will also help your application stand out if the post, or the country, you're applying to is over-subscribed.

The only worthwhile EFL qualification is a CELTA. Don't waste your money on weekend, taster or online courses because they aren't accredited.

3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Agreed that it can certainly add a string to your bow, but the key courses only focus on teaching adults. My partner recently did the CELTA (only that one and the Trinity TEFL are worth doing, all other qualifications are not worth it if you want to have a serious qualification) and he only had 2 days (out of 20 full time) on teaching young learners.

Depending on the schools you apply to, having experience of teaching EFL students can be a huge advantage. While an EFL qualification will give you some knowledge, it won't give you the experience, so as a fully qualified primary teacher, I would save your £1000 or so (which is how much the CELTA/Trinity tends to cost) and maybe get a few books on theory if you're really interested/worried about this. Or look into some CPD courses?

Most teachers in international schools don't have an EFL qualification and they manage fine.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Agreed. The qualification is not needed if you want to teach in a full-on International School.
    On the other hand, if you want to be an EFL teacher, of course obtain it.

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It certainly isn’t essential. I only know a few with CELTA which is the only serious qualification...

6. Abijess23

Abijess23 New commenter

Thanks all!

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

There is a young learners extension course to the CELTA, which may be relevant. However, in my limited experience, I would say that a TEFL qualification is useful but not necessary to secure an overseas teaching post.