1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEFL or TESOL?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Applecake1, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Applecake1

Applecake1 New commenter

Hello I’m a retired primary teacher and I’ve been thinking about getting into teaching online.
    Teaching English seems a good idea, but I’m looking for some advice please.
    Some courses are a few hours long and some are weeks or months long. Would I be best to study for TESOL or TEFL?
    I’m unlikely to want to teach abroad, it’s going to be online. Should I join agencies?
    I did aTESOL unit as part of my teacher training ( mid 90s).
    I’ve also taught children for whom English is not their first language.
    I would much appreciate some advice! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

I would think it depends whether you are interested in signing up with a company like one of the ones in this article:
    https://www.teachaway.com/blog/8-amazing-companies-let-you-teach-english-online-from-home?amp

or whether you would be working more independently by advertising your services on a website like this:
    https://www.tutorfair.com/online-efl-tutor

in the first scenario I would survey what most of the companies are asking for and go for the most marketable one, whereas in the second scenario it’s really more about which would be most be beneficial to you personally or what could you hone in on to set yourself apart from the rest I guess.

I suppose you could always decide based on scenario one and then you would still be well positioned for scenario two as long as you “sold” yourself well enough for prospective tutees to select your services.

best of luck whatever you choose

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I have CELTA and have been teaching EFL alongside Supply teaching for many years. I retired from mainstream and now teach only EFL for a language school on the South Coast.
    There really seems very little difference between the 2, but you will need a thorough knowledge of English Grammar.
    Most language schools here prefer teachers to have had experience in teaching abroad, something I never did but did have experience of living in 4 other countries.
    Basically, TEFL involves 4 areas: Speaking, listening, reading and writing. On-line teaching would be very much a case of encouraging fluency in speaking and correct pronunciation.
    PM me if you need any more help.

4. Applecake1

Applecake1 New commenter

Thank you so much Romoletto and lapinrose. You’ve been very helpful.
    Yes, I take your point about the need for knowledge of grammar. I think I would be okay (following a quick brush up!) as my degree majored in language as well as literature.
    I’m looking into both those options on the links. Thanks lapinrose for your offer of more support if required.