1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEFL or not?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ax1orduna, Jun 12, 2020.

1. ax1orduna

ax1orduna New commenter

I am 20+ year Education veteran with 10 years classroom experience in middle and high schools in the US. I have an EdD, and multiple teaching certificates for the state of TX.
    I am currently working in Museum education but due to economic effects from COVID, I will be looking for new work very soon.
    With my experience, degrees and certificates would I still need to invest in acquiring a TEFL certificate to begin applying to schools abroad?

Thanks.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I don't think so

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s not needed. But if you haven’t had extensive experience with EAL in the classroom, it might set you up for more success.

ax1orduna likes this.
  4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Was it the Plowden report that said - We are all teachers of Language'

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Was it the Plowden Report that said - 'We are all teachers of language now'.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Do you intend to teach English as a foreign Language ? If so, the course and certificate give you the grounding in the grammar necessary. You'd want a history degree to teach history TEFL cert( I have one) is as much about subject knowledge as it is about the skill of teaching.

ax1orduna likes this.
  7. ax1orduna

ax1orduna New commenter

Thank you all for your responses. I have no experience teaching abroad and was unsuccessful in securing interviews with schools abroad when I tried this 3 years ago. The only thing that would be different this time around is having that certificate. I think I'll do it.

I appreciate the sincerety of this forum.

8. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Be careful which one you do. The CELTA and the Trinity Cert TESOL are the most respected (and therefore most widely accepted) ones.

9. ax1orduna

ax1orduna New commenter

Thank you! That is very helpful.