1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEFL for Language teachers??

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lsp22, May 13, 2011.

1. I know that TEFL has been spoken about a lot in the forum but I couldn't quite find the answer is was looking for.
    I am a French/Spanish teacher in the UK with 4 years experience and am looking to move to South America or Mexico (still need to decide!)
    I wondered if it is necessary that I obtain TEFL as I can technically teach another language or is it better to gain the qualification
    Any help would be great

2. It depends what you want to teach. If you want to teach English as a Foreign Language, then yes, a TEFL degree would be recommended. I am assuming that you are an English native speaker. Be aware that if you are not, you will struggle to find a TEFL job, even with a degree. But then again, why would you want TEFL jobs? They are generally at the lower end of the scale. If you have a PGCE in MFL, then you would be much better off finding a job teaching French and Spanish at an International School, and you definitely don't need a TEFL degree for that. Hope that helps.

3. Yes I am a native English speaker. I was hoping to find a French/Spanish teaching job and would prefer not to do TEFL but just wanted to explore all my options!
    Thank you for your reply

4. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi would fully recommend that you do a celta as the training you receive will be useful in practice. Mfl jobs are less common than tefl jobs and it will give you flexibility. Beware of the common mistake to assume that as you have a pgce you will find a celta easy. They are different beasts. I have both - was a tefl teacher first - and I observed some mfl lessons and received training form mfl department on "communication" in an inset and both underwhelmed me as a good celta provider followed by working in a respectable tefl job (yes there are a lot of cowboys but then some highly professional providers who train you with a delta) does provide a very student centred education using the communicative method. Be warned most teachers find a celta harder than non teachers as the latter are more receptive to the style of delivery. Of course I wouldn't try that with my bottom set year 9s on a Friday afternoon lol. I am a science teacher btw but have a majority of eal students.

5. estrella7

estrella7 New commenter

Hello,

I am also a French / Spanish teacher and have had to leave Scotland to work in the Middle East to get a job as nothing happening at home apart from me getting into more and more debt! I am also looking seriously at doing the CELTA course next summer that nemo mentions above. I taught English as a foreign language years ago in Spain, for 4 years, after graduating, but as nemo says, it was not that well paid and I really only did it so I could party for the entire time I was living there...

It seems to be better recognised and having spoken to colleagues from colleges I did adult evening classes at in Scotland last year, if I'd had that certificate I'd have had much more work back home as well as abroad.

LIke you, I was looking at Spain / South America after getting my PGDE 5 years ago, but they don't need Spanish teachers obviously! I have seen French posts advertised in Mexico, and think that if you had a CELTA course on top of that, you would find it easier to find work in that part of the world. It is pricey, but one of my friends did it years ago and is now in Spain teaching French at an international school and has an online teaching job at one of the Open Universities there, cos of her CELTA qualification.

I am going to do it to get another language teaching qualification string to my bow, and nemo - thanks for the advice on the actual course delivery!!! I will keep that in mind! Cheers!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)