1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEFL advice for Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ThePoet, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ThePoet

ThePoet New commenter

Hi I am an experienced Music teacher with a PGCE and experience in FE and HE teaching. I am considering moving to Spain with my family. Music jobs seem to be few and far between so I am considering teaching English as a foreign or second language. I have been researching on the internet and have contacted a couple of companies that deliver the courses but have hit the point where I am getting conflicting advice. Does anyone know if there is a definitive qualification that I would need to help get work? There are a lot of courses with various claims and various prices attached any advice gratefully received.

2. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

Hi
    A Celta course is generally the best qual for TEFL teaching - not a weekend course but a 4 week one. You'll also need to get a good grammar book - those present perfects and uncountable nouns are tricky at first. Good luck - it's much warmer in Spain!

3. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

The course you need is the CELTA. It takes four weeks full-time and costs around £1000. If you need further information about it can you please do a search for CELTA on this forum first as I've posted about it several times.

4. ThePoet

ThePoet New commenter

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

5. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

be aware that not only are teaching posts rare but family friendly schools are getting rarer due to the costs. Some schools will take you if you pay for your family tickets; perhaps you'll get tickets for your spouse of you're lucky.
    tefl jobs are also low paid, perhaps averaging gbp1000 month. Without experience of teaching English and English lit in the UK few schools will consider you for a Standard English teacher.

6. davidbowiefan

I wouldn't advise anyone to take a TEFL job unless their partner was well-paid and they didn't need the money. £1000 net would be on the high side. It goes without saying that the OP can't teach in an international school unless they are qualified as an English teacher. TEFL is only for language schools.

7. ThePoet

ThePoet New commenter

The idea behind the TEFL was that both myself and my wife would teach it to get us started while we looked for better work as there seems to be a lot of jobs advertised. My wife is already qualified to teach English and speaks fluent Spanish, so obviously her options are a lot broader than mine.

8. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

You should have mentioned your wife in your first post.
    You're far more likely to gain work on her coat tails, although you need to be careful with visas. Many countries will not allow you to work once you're there on a spouse visa, but you may have to accept a local contract: lower paid.

9. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Any reason for Spain?

There's good jobs right now advertising for India, Malaysia, Nepal and Thailand: All great places for family. Plenty of others places in Asia advertising, but the 4 mentioned are worth taking family to. Safe, secure and relatively pollution free. Cheap cost of living - eating out with a family possible in all 4 places. Plenty to explore in each of those: If you have children, Spain is a questionable place to head to: low pay and high cost of living.

10. Principal-Skinner

11. davidbowiefan

What Principal Skinner said...

There are lots of countries where you can go to escape UK state schools, have better weather and give your children a taste of another culture. You wouldn't be able to support a family with TEFL work in Spain.

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I was quite excited to read the implication that India has become pollution free since Mrs M and I lived there in the noughties. Then I read the following on this morning's news app:

'The Indian capital, home to some 16 million people, has been engulfed in smog since the last month. Smoke from crackers during Diwali and the burning of paddy straw in adjoining states have compounded the pollution problem in New Delhi, which according to WHO is already the most polluted city in the world.New Delhi is gasping for breath.'

And it isn't just ND. Anyone who lives within gasping distance of an Indian road will croak out a similar tale.

13. Principal-Skinner

Like all capitals, inc London, pollution is high. My own experience is that much of the rest of India, with one or two black spots, is relatively OK, with large areas which are good.

Living next to any road is unhealthy, and there is localised pollution from fossil fuel burners for things such as cooking, but on the evidence I've seen India is considerably less polluted than China, and not much difference to many parts of Europe.

http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/gmaps_rankings.jsp
    The map, when zoomed in, shows little other than red for those areas of China that are monitored, lots of orange or green in India, away from Delhi & the northern border. Italy is worse than India in comparison.

Outside Kathmandu, Nepal is very good, but the place seems bad as only one place is monitored. In the winter the pollution rockets due to wood & fossil fuel being burnt.

14. Mainwaring

I've visited 40 + countries. I've lived in India. The cities are extremely polluted. Delhi is much worse than Santiago de Chile (I've lived there too).

15. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Ah, Santiago de Chile.

16. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Ahhh! Indeed

¿Cómo lo echo de menos !

ha pasado demasiado tiempo

Que lastima

17. Mainwaring

18. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

obviamente - muchos años la falta de práctica - olvidame

19. Mainwaring

You want me to forget you? Have we met?

kemevez likes this.
  20. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

My guess is there are several combinations of fewer than 6 degrees of separation. 'twas a golden age and all that in the magic lands.