1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teeny weeny new potatoes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, May 11, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I know I should be very grateful that Mr manny has come home with two muckle bags of ickle new potatoes (a wee bit smaller than ping pong balls), but all I know how to do with new pots is... boil them.
    Which is a bit boring. Please does anyone have any good suggestions for different and tasy ways with new spuds? Thanks.
    p.s. really needed some good floury spuds for mash (cottage pie etc.). Yes, I know, I am a miserable sod. [​IMG]

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

No! You're like me - poor Mr EG can do no right. He could kiss me feet everyday and he'd still be doing it wrong!
    Now...
    Boil them and toss in butter and chopped parsley before serving.
    Parboil them, coat in olive oil and finish cooking by placing on a baking tray - mini baked pots!
    Boil them, cut in half, add olive oil and use as the topping for a fish pie/cottage pie .etc.
    "crush" them with a fork and add olive oil
    cook them in paper with herb butter
    patatas bravas
    I love cold new potatoes in a sandwich with plenty of pepper...
    There's some ideas. I may be back...

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Potato salad
    Salad nicoise
    can;t remember what it's called but linguine with new pots, green beans and pesto
    tortilla
    fry them and eat with fried eggs![​IMG]

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You little star! Thank you so much.
    Off to watch TGI. Back later. :)

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Just remembered another one - parboil them and coat in olive oil and a generous amount of smoked paprika before roasting. Even my "fussy eater" likes that one.

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I have a fussier eater than you, ner, ner!
    He hates smoked paprika. Which is a pity, because I LOVE it!
    I could do one batch with and one without. [​IMG]
    Thanks again to you and Si for the ideas.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Warm potato salad, cook the potatoes, ie boil them, add to a bowl with some chopped red onion and crushed garlic, also snipped chives, dress with lemon juice and olive oil, season with s&p. Serve warm or cold. Nice with plain grilled or BBQ meats.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mmmmmmm! [​IMG]

10. I really like them left in their skins, steamed or boiled, then tossed around in butter and rosemary until the skins are just starting to go slightly crispy in some places.
    Or tossed around a bit in bacon fat, with the chopped up bacon bits and some spring onions.
    Or served with a quark and chive dip.
    Or with fish (hey, has he brought some fish home yet?) I really like them par boiled, then put in a roasting dish and drizzled with the juice of a lemon and the zest sprinkled over the top, a lug of oil and some rock salt, then roasted in the oven for a half hour or so.

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Cheers for those ideas, CQ. I'm doing a roast chook for dinner tomorrow, so I'm spoilt for choice now!
    Not yet - he can't take a fish of any description off the Whiteadder till July, but he's got 4 days booked on the Till at the end of May and he can take a sea trout IF he catches one. They are harder to snag than salmon.
    Will freeze some steaks for your next trip, for you and yours if he gets lucky.