1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teeny weeny chairs

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by totally disheartened, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on the school's position regarding adults being required to use furniture designed for 4 year olds. Things such as tables, chairs, sinks and computer stations which are all hugely inappropriate for adult use. Obviously these things need to be appropriate for the children using them but where does that leave your staff?Apart from in pain? Have any of you tackled this problem effectively? If so, I could really do with a few pointers. Thank you.

2. I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on the school's position regarding adults being required to use furniture designed for 4 year olds. Things such as tables, chairs, sinks and computer stations which are all hugely inappropriate for adult use. Obviously these things need to be appropriate for the children using them but where does that leave your staff?Apart from in pain? Have any of you tackled this problem effectively? If so, I could really do with a few pointers. Thank you.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You can buy adult sized chairs at child height ( hope that makes sense) so that they are appropriate for staff but fit into the classroom.

4. I think I've seen these? Chairs that have seats large enough for grown up bums but with tiny legs? Still can't work out how my knees would fit under the table though. Also, does your school provide these? Are there any schools that find these chairs a good solution?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I know schools who do use these and they're effective. Moat schools I've worked with/ in make do with the children's chair. In my current school we provide orthapaedic chairs on wheels.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'll see if I can find out where we got them from.

7. Thanks CG [​IMG]

8. i bought these adult sized low chairs for reception and ks1 classes in previous school think they were in usual catalogues. Why would you want to fit under a desk?

9. So that I could sit at a table with my knees underneath it in the same way you sit at your desk?

10. Wouldnt a decent computer chair work? Height adjustable to sitting near little tables ,yet still able to sit at an adult sized desk when needed.

11. A computer chair wouldn't reach anywhere near as low as it would need to. These tables really are tiny! Plus there aren't any adult sized desks lol.

12. Is this for you to do your own work? As if i was sitting with pupils i wouldnt want to sit with legs under table and to be honest even with the low chairs many adults would still find it hard to fit under low foundation stage tables

13. I'm sorry, I'm honestly not trying to be awkward when I say I would like my legs to fit under a table. I say this because, twisting my body to appear to be sitting at the table that I'm working at with my pupils ( for most of the day. Not every day but for hours at a time when I am doing so) when in fact my legs are to the side because there's no room for them is causing me back pain. I wondered if any of you knew of a way I could sit at these tables designed for 3-5 yr olds (I'm 5'10'') without reverting to painkillers.
    How would you want to sit? Leaning over and twisting to work with pupils becuse I can't position myself at a table properly is what's causing me discomfort.

14. Can you get a good bean bag and get children doing guided work to sit near you on chairs with clipboards? You could always have a big table, big chairs & boxes for little feet when they work with you? You need to look after your back. Alexander technique recommended.

15. Problem solved! 50's round Formica topped table with fold down sides & 6 stackable chairs- stylish, space efficient & cheap on eBay or Ikea. Surely kids sit at high tables at home? (Good argument when making sure you get a big table).

16. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Very interesting article re this subject in a recent edition of Nursery World. For female adults, sitting at a small chair for prolonged periods of time regularly can cause pelvic instability and pelvic tilt which can lead to early incontinence. The same article alkso cites many examples of EY workers who have ongoing back problems due to kneeling,bending or sitting on inappropriate chairs to be at child level.
    This is a serious issue for all EY workers and one that managers imho, ignore at their peril as most managers spend their days sitting on an adult sized chair at an adult desk/table and do not realise the extent of the problem on a daily basis. In my Y1 class, I spend most of my days kneeling at the table when I work with the children, on a garden kneeler, as there is not enough space for me to get my legs under the table without raising my knees so that my thighs then tilt downwards towards my pelvis.
    My HT refuses to discuss more appropriate adult furniture and just thinks we are being awkward.

17. Thought I'd share with you all what I've been recommended by Occ Health...
    http://www.jollyback.com/
    Apparently they work wonders.
    @Breadmaker, my physio advised that I should kneel at the small tables rather than sit on small chairs and put a pillow in the crook between my lower legs that touch the floor and upper legs.

18. On a visit to a school in Belgium they had excersise balls in classroomfor both adults and children to use as well as conventional chairs! Apparently very good for your back!

19. All this talk of chairs for infant teachers has been very helpful Thankyou. Don't forget to look after pregnant teachers who work in infant dept too- there was many a time I recall feeling beached if I sat on the floor too long in a YR classroom beyond 8 months awaiting a passing grown up!