1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technology week ideas

Discussion in 'History' started by Morninglover, May 13, 2011.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Depending where you are, could you do something based on technological developments and the Industrial Revolution, and arrange a trip to somewhere like Beamish (north-east) or Ironbridge/Coalbookdale (midlands)?

2. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

sounds like a great idea - we are in the West Midlands. Unfortunately, geography are already organising one trip for the week, so I don't think that our budget would stretch that far to take an additional one. Our kids come from low income families and probably wouldn't fork out more that a fiver. Anything we do has to be heavily subsidised by the school. Really looking for some more practical, creative workshops that relates to RE and history. All ideas greatly appreciated!

3. Explore time itself? Make water clocks, sundials, candle clocks, simple mechanical clock (like Adam Hart Davis') etc. Standard Technic lego sets used to have a pamphlet on making clock gearing. Investigate consequences of marking time - abbey clocks marking the monks day, significance of church clocks, clocking on and off changing life of the working man. Clocks gearing pre-empting the vast cog wheels of heavy industry. Chronological development of means of telling time. Impact on exploration and plotting location. A ramble of ideas here - just things that came to mind when I read your post.

4. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Liking these ideas so far! Any idea where I might find resources if anyone has them??