1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technology GCSE national averages

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Sprogget, Aug 30, 2012.

1. I've been asked by my school to find the national average for separate Technology subjects at GCSE. I can only find an overall statistic for all Technology. Do separate subjects averages exist. Many thanks.

2. jmacjm

jmacjm New commenter

They are available and well signposted on exam board websites (to be fair to them) it may be helpful to you to read the excellent discussions about same on the forum here also to see the context they sit uneasily in.

3. The only way I could do it would be to log on to each exam board, a bit labour intensive but can't think of another way

4. Does anyone know what the AQA DT - Textiles Technology national average was??

I've tried AQA site, but I think you have to log in and I don't have a password.

Thanks.

5. GraficGeek

GraficGeek New commenter

Hi . Found some AQA data for 2012 regarding the national averages you were enquiring about. Results surprised me.

A*-C %

Electronics 65%
    Food. 63%
    G P 59%
    PD 59%
    R M 57%
    Textiles 74% ! With 10.5 % A* !! Did not realise that this was the clever kids DT pick.

6. silaqui

silaqui New commenter

I think it's more that Textiles gets a higher percentage of girls - not necessarily 'cleverer' but often more perserverant and willing to spend more time on coursework rather than 'it'll do' attitude you find with most boys.

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I also think textiles lends itself to the marking criteria more than the other subjects, there are a lot of skills to show off and the end product invariably looks superb. it's very difficult to *** up a textiles project beyond repair and its very easy to document changes if you do wreck it.
    The proportion of girls probably helps too - is it a coincidence that RM (full of lads) is the lowest?