1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technology charges

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by hantssheep, Mar 5, 2011.

1. We currently charge our students £5 a year for technology materials so they can take their work home and also so we don't collect monies ourselves.
    How much do other schools charge (if at all)?

2. We currently charge our students £5 a year for technology materials so they can take their work home and also so we don't collect monies ourselves.
    How much do other schools charge (if at all)?

3. we charge the actual cost or we would be broke if pupils are on free school meals our school fund can cover it- talk to SMT if you have lots of pupils in this situation.
    eg year 7 pay £15 for food tex and PD BUT it only covers a two food lessons and they bring ingredients for rest.

4. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I'm in Scotland and after an attempt to gather money in school I found this:

"Charging for education

Schools must provide free education and cannot charge for any activity (or materials, books, exam entry fees or equipment for use in connection with the activity) which:-
    is an essential part of the curriculum or religious education syllabus; or
    is an essential part of the syllabus for a prescribed examination; or
    takes place wholly or mainly during school hours.

The rules on when a charge can be made are very complicated and you should consult an experienced adviser for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau"

from http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_family/education_index_scotland/problems_at_school_scotland.htm#chargingforeducation

5. The rules in Uk are similiar EXCEPT you can make a charge 'where the pupil takes the outcome home' or words to that effect if I rmember rightly.

6. Last year we costed it out over the 3 KS3 year groups and it came to an average of £6. This provides for all materials except food. Letters were sent out & much of the money collected back by parentmail. Where a student has not paid we keep their product for either display purposes of recycle where possible

7. £5 each year.
    Year 7 - very good return
    Year 8 - not bad
    Year 9 - terrible.
    We keep the product if they do not pay. I find it better to charge them £2 for my project when they have completed it, focussing the mind. The other teachers do the same and with 3 rotations per year this amounts to 20% interest charged. They still prefer to pay in installments.
    Years 10 and 11 are very difficult to get money out of, particularly for books.