1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technicians are under appreciated

Discussion in 'Science' started by Teslasmate, May 29, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

2. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

NB if the £8,917 salary they quote is after pro-rata, then I think the equivalent full time, 37 hour week salary is c.£16,300.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But a lot of what techies do happens outside of teaching hours. I recall that when I was a lab tech the holidays were often our busiest time as we did all the repairs and maintenance that we couldn't do when the labs were in use.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

It looks like its 3 days a week, or equivalent. Or maybe just 9-3, 5 days a week, not even quite that! Not required in school holidays at all.

Market forces...these are the dream hours for thousands upon thousands of mothers of primary age children. They will be swamped with applications.

Jobs like that are like gold dust

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

this job is assistant technician though. There will be others full time.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

They are not even asking for any qualifications, just a willingness to learn. Its probably a fair wage. I'd like to look for something like that once I've retired.

7. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

Looks near minimum wage to me, the same as a supermarket shelf-filler, for "a range of lab skills". You may be right Dunnocks about supply and demand.
    Maybe they'll get someone young where min wage is less.

8. Hebe2

Hebe2 New commenter

I don't agree, because even though it is term time only, there will surely be holiday pay plus bank holiday pay and maybe even INSET days pay. So based on being paid for 43 weeks per year the FTE salary is probably more like £13,795, quite a bit below minimum wage.
    Dunnocks, there are plenty of part-time jobs pay more than this for parents of school age children. The job is becoming increasingly stressful with under-staffing, to the point of being unsafe and I completely agree with Teslamate "The contempt for technical knowledge and skill is palpable."