1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technician Time

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Telly, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    Are there requirements for how much techician time should be allocated for FTT or D&T subejcts? Our school is looking at making cuts - like many others I'm sure, but just wondered if there was guidelines for practical subjects.
    Thanks
    Telly

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Forget about time. Think about skills the technician has and focus on that. Could you teach a lesson in D&T efectively without some who knows how things are actually done to support it?

3. Definitely! It's what i do all day every day. We have a technician who is amazing but she does not support in lessons, neither does the RM technician. The Food one does a bit some of the time mostly to help make sure year 7's get finished on time. Anyway - hope they don't cut too much time. I would suggest you list the jobs they do and the minimum hours needed for them to complete those jobs.

4. There is a formula for technician time - if you give me your email I will forward the document to you.

6. Almika,
    Please could you send me the formula. I have revolting parents who want me tp provide ingredients and I only get 20 mins of technician time 3 days a week! I want as much back up as I can to put forward to the head.
    My email is dougandcharlie@btinternet.com
    Cheers Charsam

7. So who do the revolting parents think will shop for the food (having spent hours working how much is needed) or divide it up for their little darlings? Let alone where and how it will be stored. This is an issue very few schools have ever been able to fund or deal with properly and it is NOT a teachers job- ask the science dept who sorts their resources out!

8. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

If your school is looking to make cuts then your technician could possibly go first. So why not ask yourself how they could be used around the school? make your technician priceless. My technician uses our laser cutter to make all the signs around the school including the plaques for the SMT and Head's office doors. Furthermore, we have just had some expensive building work done, who saved the school lots of money by producing the archtectural models, helps departments with day to day practical advice and technical help. Somebody who helps everybody may be very difficult to lose if cuts come about.
    On the original subject of time, I am assuming you are the HOD, so what do YOU require? I always have found a "walk round" at the start or end of the week highly beneficial. Time to discuss and document tasks and to follow up the next week.
    PS. Not sure about having a technician take a class, support yes, but running it their own is not really a good idea.
    Cheers
    Spencer