1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technician Qualification?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by cheersphilip, Jan 10, 2011.

1. There is training available for you though! This, I guess, is the next best thing. Last time I looked Creative had a Technician course that our technician was dying to get onto. It's really hard to do a job where you feel like you're always one step behind because no-one's told you how to do it, so I would recommend this. Also, D&TA have lists of health and safety trainers/consultants in your area who can certify you to use machinery and generally run a safe ship - you should defo get these, as they are a minimum standard to h&s training in D&T.
    Cheers, Philip.

2. Moomin Troll

Moomin Troll New commenter

I would suggest a DATA H&S course as a minimum, especially as there are strands for all areas within the subject. At my last school we had a dedicated technician for the workshop side of things, another for food and another for textiles. As previous respondents have intimated, there is no "formal" technician qualification, but there are many, many courses leading to qualifications in various pieces of software, machine use, food hygiene, etc... etc..

3. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you for all your replies.
    Either Art or Textiles would be an area I'd feel compentant in, are there any specific courses that would focus on that area of design, rather than food and machinery?