1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technicalities of Teacher Assessed Writing KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_brown72, Feb 7, 2012.

1. paul_brown72

paul_brown72 New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am a little confused as to how the reporting of KS2 Literacy Levels will work this year.
    In previous years a numerical value has been generated for Reading and Writing. Both out of 50.
    This year Reading will still produce a value out of 50. However, Writing will be a Level (sub -level?) generated by the teacher.
    I don't really understand how this will work with producing APS progress and more specifically borderline students. Will there be no borderline students now?
    If no-one knows, I will try and get hold of the exam body. I'm not sure they have actually made a decision themselves. They certainly haven't informed us about it.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I suspect that they haven't got there themselves yet, since the decision was made by the DFE after the report last summer.

At a guess, everyone will get the midpoint of that level, in the way that all L3s at KS1 receive the same number of points.

3. paul_brown72

paul_brown72 New commenter

So a child I consider to be just a 4c and one who is a good 4a will receive the same points score?
    So how is this going to work for their overall level? This will then be added to their reading score?
    I think the whole thing is going to be one almighty shambles.

4. Apparently our LEA people think they'll have to deal with reading and writing scores separately, rather than giving overall English levels. Just one more almighty shambles!

5. I have heard on the grapevince that the government hadnt really thought about this. I also on the grapevine that it will be June that they will resolve this.