1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Technical ability vs. content and flare

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpt51, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

When it comes to writing which of these two do you consider to be of the most importance?

It seems apparent to me that most children are better in one of these areas than the other, so which is more important for you when you are assessing and marking? I appreciate that ideally we want both to be clear in all writing, but when it comes to moving the children to the next sublevel which is more important, and when they have achieved you are happy to move them on, or without you hold them back until it is retaught and better grasped?

2. For me, technical accuracy is more important. If written work is not spelt and punctuated correctly, its meaning can be lost.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Both need to be present to move a child on a sub level overall. I do have children who are better at one than the other, but I'd not move them to the higher level until the lower was more or less in place.

4. surely flair is more important than flare?