1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tear 8 topics

Discussion in 'Science' started by katylm, Aug 30, 2019.

1. katylm

katylm New commenter

I have been asked to tutor my friend's son for a term or two while he waits for a school place to come up. It is nine years since I last taught science in the classroom and it would be useful if anyone could give me an idea of topics that are typically covered in Year 8. I still have some text books but am not sure how relevant they are to the current way of teaching science.

Many thanks.

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

This should give you a good idea of what they are meant to study.
    https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/specifications/AQA-SCIENCE-KS3-SYLLABUS.PDF

I find the CGP revision guides are a good guide, although they don't divide KS3 up by year.

Having said that, I avoid tutoring KS3 science now and only tutor GCSE and A level, where I have clear information on the syllabus and what is required. Since the year 9 KS3 exams were stopped, I find that what they actually do in school often doesn't seem to correspond to the specification.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Find out what school he goes to. Google them. There may be information on the school website.

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Just had a look and actually there is a CGP year 8 science workbook.
    https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondar...32-new-ks3-science-year-8-targeted-workbook-(
    It may not correspond to what they'd be doing at school but it will give you something to work with. If the boy's not in school the main thing is probably just to do something he'll find interesting.

Do you know which school he will be going to or is he just waiting for a place to come up at any reasonably local school?

5. katylm

katylm New commenter

Thanks for that information.

I have suggested that he gets the CGP books, then I am going to find out what he did in Year 7 and plan to cover some topics that he hasn't yet done. I will also look at school that he is waiting for a place in and see what they cover in Y8.

I need to get my thinking hat on for 'practicals' that he can do too so it isn't all book/written work.

6. katylm

katylm New commenter

I have just looked at the school website and found a list of topics covered in Year 8, so that's sorted!