1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team teaching and accelerated learning- do kids really benefit?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Anthony78, Jan 3, 2011.

1. My school is happily trundling down the team teaching accelerated learning path. I have attended the training sessions that are run by people who taught for a few years and then realised there was more money to be made in training- I get their financial motivation. The accelerated learning stuff doesn't seem very new- just a mash up of stuff that's been recommended for at least a decade- I use it sometimes but not always- depends on the class and the topic.
    Team teaching is coming in this year- I've heard colleagues from other schools saying that team taught classes help to plug absence problems as if one of two teachers is absent the burden of the class falls to the teacher left in school. In addition we have tiny poky classrooms barely big enough for a TA and teacher to move about! Do kids really benefit from team teaching- my primary age daughter hates it- but that is just one opinion. Does it dilute your personality and your teaching style? What if you secretly hate your team teaching partner? Really want some honest feedback.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I have to admit I am not a fan at all of team teaching, but that may be down to my personal experiences during my PGCE and my subsequent refusal to have anything to do with it ever since.
    That said, team teaching seems to work pretty well in lessons such as PE, so it may be subject specific, or it may just be me.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Accelerated learning can work well with motivated learners who can fill in the background ideas and see links for themselves.
    If you're working with a TA then you're already team teaching. I have had experience from the point of view of supporting other teachers. It can work well, particularly if both teachers understand each other. Every few years someone comes up with the idea and then quietens down when they realise that UK schools mostly don't have the learning spaces for such things. Since small group work and paired discussion are currently flavour of the month, I don't see team teaching having a big impact.
    After a few years of spending cuts schools may look differently on such things.
    I currently team teach with a colleague who seems to have a different world view and personality to me. I'm still watching and hoping to learn.
    P

4. Thanks for your answers- did accelerated learning training and wasn't overly impressed- just didn't seem anything new!