1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team teach training. Is it worth it in my situation?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cys2017, Oct 30, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi

I would like to know how likely it is that pgce students get team teach training? I didn’t get it when I completed mine in June 2018. However, I am now looking at jobs and some of them state team teach training is essential/desirable.

I’m currently with a teaching agency and have contacted someone from my local area who works within SEND support services and delivers the training. They have informed me that the training will be £75.

So was wondering if it would make a difference for the roles agencies put me forward to and my general abilities to secure a contract.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I thought team-teaching went out of favour some years back?

Unlikely to affect any supply work and at the moment you don't want to watss money on training you may or may not need.

If applying for a post, write something like 'I haven't been I a team-teaching situation on my training , but am more than willing to complete training.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I hadn't heard that. In mainstream or Special?

They swear by it at my SEMH secondary Special School, best thing since sliced bread. Even the school meals staff do it (shortened version, not full training).

I gathered that it's widely used in Special schools. Don't know about mainstream.

agathamorse and cys2017 like this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

SEMH schools use it - out of necessity
    If a mainstream school is asking for it alarm bells should be ringing!

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Sounds like an agency scam to sell you training schemes.

6. tarlingolive

tarlingolive New commenter

I have just done the 2 day course, £40 through my agency, as a lot of special schools require it for supply and permanent positions. I have also seen a number of mainstream that use it and think when applying for permanent it is always helpful to have training that fits in with what their staff already have. I found it useful just in terms of confidence too.

7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I did Team Teach training in my school in Lincolnshire but this wasn’t accepted by a school in Nottinghamshire when they were looking for supply staff. So be careful as even if you pay for it the school might not accept it.

install, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We certainly wouldn't have a supply teacher using Team Teach with any pupils! If it's needed, SLT would be called. I don't think it would give you an advantage when applying for a permanent post, it's nice to have but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

9. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'm doing it at the moment (and didn't pay anything like the figures mentioned previously) - but being honest, I'm doing it to fill my own CV up rather than with the intent of needing to use it on supply.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

A nice extra to have on your CV perhaps, but no guarantee it will get you any extra work.

Don't spend 75 quid of your own money on it. A First Aid course would be more useful if you really want to spend some cash.

pepper5, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Team Teaching. Last year I went to a Primary school in a nationally notorious area. Two teachers (another and myself) plus two Learning Support Assistants (behaviour and crowd control).
    Guess why they needed two teachers and crowd control in that/those classrooms?
    Guess who gave it two days then thanked them very much?

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I still think that paying for training courses through agencies is a way for the latter to make some money out of teachers for whom they cannot find work.

13. cys2017

Hi thanks for your comment! Do you know why it’s wasn’t accepted? Did they give you a reason ...

agathamorse likes this.
  14. cys2017

This one is through my council website like I found the link on there and not directly on an agencey site so it wouldn’t be through the agency

agathamorse likes this.
  15. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Simply because it had been done in Lincolnshire and they had their own version in Nottinghamshire. It was for a long term supply on a full time basis and at the time I was employed full time in a SEND school in Grantham that had become part of a MAT and I’d resigned my post to end at the end of spring term.

cys2017, install and pepper5 like this.
  16. cys2017

Oh did you pay less?

pepper5 likes this.
  17. cys2017

Can anyone tell me for sure if there is s course book that needs to be completed for the team teach to get the certificate at the end.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I paid £25 via my agency to do it. There's a course workbook but we didn't really go through it during the course, it was more of a "own time" thing - there's an end of course test/quiz thing you have to get 7/10 or above on to get the certificate - which if you've not slept through the entire thing is very very straightforward. I did the 2 day one - day 1 was a bit of death by powerpoint but day 2 was much more practical based.

I'm glad I did it just for my own self confidence more than anything else (I've got the situation a previous poster mentioned regarding Nottinghamshire for some of the area I cover, but I figure it's useful in the surrounding LEAs anyway).

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.