1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team Teach positive handling - had to use it today...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anon929, Mar 17, 2008.

1. We use SCIPP which I assume is very similar, last training session we were told not to use the wrap hold at all, as it was now deemed to be dangerous as it restricts breathing.

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

The Team Teach T-wrap and the basket hold are not the same thing.

In a basket hold the arms are crossed and wrapped around the young person and the breathing is restricted which is why it should not be used.
    In a Team Teach T wrap the young person's hands are on their opposite hips and the body should be bent forward no more than 45 degrees. This still give the ribs room to expand and the diaphragm room to expand meaning that breathing is not restricted. Our Team teach instructors were very explicit about this.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Exactly what I was about to say!!
    Last year I had to use the wraps once a fortnight or so (and hated doing it) but sometimes when 2 children are determined to go for each other it is all you can do after de-escalation techniques have failed. This year I haven't had to do it at all (thankfully) although I do use my 'caring c's' quite regularly.
    To the OP - yes it does take it out of you and it is draining - the only thing I would wonder is if an hour was completely necessary in retrospect as this is a very long time? Could the child have been moved to an area where you could 'release' them and let them calm down without the risk of hurting others? I only ask as I had a child last year who would get progressively worse the longer he was held and after while he forgot why he was angry/upset - just that he was being held snd so therefore he was. For him it worked much better to move him from immediate danger, let him go and then wait for him to calm himself down. It might be worth thinking about for next time (which hopefully won't happen for a long time)

4. I have been a PROACT-SCIP-uk instructor for 8 years and I have now been a MAPA instructor for two years. Both these organisations do not use a 'wrap' technique as they have risk assessed that there is a risk of positional asphyxia in these types of positions. In the training to be an instructor for MAPA (3 weeks) they spend a lot of time going into the deaths of some individuals who have died as a result of these restraints- Zoe Fairley, Gareth Myatt etc
    There is also some evidence that these types of restraints that restrict the breathing can result in death up to 72 hours later. To assess if breathing is restricted this is if bent forward to any degree and with anything infront of the chest. SCIP did have a standing wrap intervention which they removed from their programme as it was deemed unsafe for the individual.
    If the paper work is correct for a restraint of this nature clearly defining why the restraint was being used - e.g they were proving a danger to themselves or other etc then there is no need to worry.

5. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

The Team Teach training also covers positional asphyxia and some of the issues raised by the deaths of caused by badly done restraints, for example the idea that if you can speak then you can breathe properly - this is not necessarily the case. T-wrap expressly does not involve anything in front of the chest.