1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team Teach positive handling - had to use it today...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anon929, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I work in a school with some SEVERE emotional behaviours - today was the first time I had to use a wrap hold on a child for an hour!! the team teach tutor also helped and its the first time she's had to do it too, even though she's been team teach tutor for quite a while. Just feeling a bit wibbly after this event, it all ended smoothly though, wondering about your experiences of similar events?

2. Done it once about 4 years ago. Really shakes you up even if you know that you did everything possible to prevent it prior to the hold and that it was necessary. Be prepared for most of you to ache tomorrow or the day after, even if you feel physically OK now.

Hope you talked it through with someone and got it off your chest. I found I needed to do that a few times to help me process what had happened. Does shake you up - adrenaline gets you through at the time but afterwards I felt really shaky. Chill out tonight and try to relax.

3. impis

impis New commenter

I've used the wrap only a couple of times, and only for very short periods - nowhere near the length of time that you've done it for.

I've used my 'caring c's' many times, to guide disruptive pupils out of the classroom when they've been exhibiting threatening or frightening behaviour to others. Once out in the corridor, indignation sets in and they huff and puff alot, but generally cool down very quickly.

4. An hour seems an awfully long time, wasn't anyone able to take over?

5. Thanks for the support guys!! and it wasn't just me there but our head and our team teach tutor too so I wasn't on my own for an hour :) feel a lot better today, and quite proud for getting through it! cheers for your comments.

6. It's really interesting to see other perspectives on this - in our setting we use TT techniques at least once a day! We tend to forget that it can be stressful the first few times.

Hope you feel better x

7. ooh thank goodness I'm not the only one. I was just thinking our children must be worse than average as we use it much more often...

8. LOL, if you're anything like me, Chili, you use it everyday and STILL get covered in bites and scratches!

I do love my job, honest john. :p

9. Oh yes! With certain groups of children most definitely lol!

10. As a TA in an EBSD special school, I would use restraint once a fortnight, and I guess there were around a couple of restraints a week, almost always with the same 3 or 4 kids.
    I am now an SEN NQT teacher in a big secondary school, and have to remind myself at times that I'm not in the special school any more, and have to go the extra mile to avoid physical contact where possible. However, working with the cohort I do, I find that 1 or 2 hands on shoulders steering students away from conflict etc is often necessary and more effective than use of voice alone. I think I need to get advice and clarification from my mentor on this.

11. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

I didn't dare say I use TT so regualarly, thought it would make me sound incompentant but you're right you sort of get immune. Then there is a danger of over using physical restraint just cos we can forgetting the other elements of positive handeling. Today I could easily of stepped in a restrained a child but because of thier severe dislike of this kind of contact I cleared the area of people (throwing chairs threateing to smash the windows) and kept intercepting other staff who were trying to step in. When all the chairs had been fired and were at a safe distance away I went in and used deescelation tatics (including bringing in another member of staff who had no previous involvement in the event) after a few minutes all was calm. Having read this post a day ago I was caused to think carfully about when is restraint REALLY neccecary.
    Thanks for bringing this subject up
    Bea
    Ps. I'm not one of those restraint 'happy' members of staff who always go jump in with TT restraint!!!

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Have had to hold pupils several times this week. I don't like doing it. Hard to instantly recompose yourself and get back to teaching a class, when you'd rather retire to the staffroom with an icepack!
    Seem to end up with headlice after holding particular lad, so try to remember to use metal comb at the earliest.

13. take my hat off to you guys, you are doing an amazing job in what must be very trying circumstances- good luck to you all.

14. We use Studio 3 techniques at our SEBD school and it works very well for us. We don't have a 'wrap around' technique doesn't sound like a technique I'd like to employ especially for that long!!
    Hope you're feeling better

15. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Hi Angel_falls, I have never heard of studio 3 had a quick look on the website which doesn't give much background info. Can you give me a brief description?

You are correct you really don't want to be in a wrap for too long if the child is having a huge meltdown. It however is a hold that is only realy suitable for small/ medium sized children (obviously depemdent on your size). The wrap can be extreamly useful for a deescilating/ calming/ reasuring hold for SOME children, particularly quite small ones. And is also very effective for quick bust after atempting less intrusive strategies but before utilising another stratergy (particularly when needing to get additional staff/ move potentially dangerous objects or another child).

Would be very interestede to hear about studio 3 though.
    Bea

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think one of my pupils gets himself into t-wraps because he benefits from being held firmly. I try to press gently and firmly on his shoulders when I notice him getting unsettled. He appreciates it and it has meant he needs to be TT held hardly ever. I got the idea from his love of going into cardboard boxes and it reminded me of Temple Grandin's 'need for squeeze'.

Interested? http://www.grandin.com/inc/squeeze.html

17. Giraffe- totally agree we have couple of pupils that like it too. A few of my group love those weighted blankets for that effect (in that they can go and "choose" one instead of resorting to behaviour in the 'hope' of getting held)

18. steves angel

steves angel New commenter

Have been on a training course today for 'positive handling' and have discovered that this hold is extremely dangerous and should not be used.

19. which hold in particular are you talking about Steves angel?

20. I think it could be the basket hold, which basically means crossing the person arms around the chest and then putting them in a seated position. It runs the high risk of restricting breathing. The nose distration technique is also banned.