1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team Teach course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by TA-in-need, Oct 1, 2015.

1. TA-in-need

TA-in-need New commenter

morning all

I'm booked onto a team teach course next week and I'm just wondering if anyone has done one? If so did you find it useful and what does it cover?

I'm hoping it will be another thing for cv in my never ending quest to get a full time job instead of agency work

Thanks very much

2. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

3. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

I have just been on the TT site - http://www.team-teach.co.uk/ and found this:

What are the learning objectives?
    Following training improved performance would be demonstrated by course participants in:
    " recognising the importance of and using de-escalation techniques and working as a team when managing challenging behaviours.
    " applying an understanding of the legal implications of positively handling
    " using a gradual and graded response to managing challenging behaviours and the use of positive handling as a last resort option.by applying an increased awareness of the need for documentation for the recording and reporting of incidents.
    " using active listening skills and participating in a process of debriefing, repair and reflection.

I have not had TT training, but many of my colleagues have and as I understand it you can not use some of the techniques unless you have 2 TT trained staff.

4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes I completed the course a few years ago. Wear something like leggings and a t-shirt as you need to be comfortable and able to move. You will be performing moves with the other people on the course.
    It covers lots of moves to move a child to wear you want safely right through to a child being violent towards you and keeping yourself safe. It is also about de-escalating the situation while restraining. I think it probably makes you more aware. I think you can often prevent a situation by your behaviour and avoid a difficult situation. You will enjoy it, there was some laughter on our course. The training is very thorough but one or two things I didn't like. It does work I have had to use it and you can remove a large, difficult child easily from class but we also had a child who we did feel it didn't work for. It does help protect you if you are working with students with extreme behavioural problems. Good luck.

5. sch1968

sch1968 New commenter

Hope it's not too late. I did this last year. Wear comfy clothes and relax! You may feel a bit daft practising but it's a very informative course. Our trainer had lots of great anecdotes which helped to keep it a bit lighthearted. I have had to use it once or twice but thankfully no more