1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team Target game : travel vs music

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Eureka!, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

stay a fortnight
    a10 b10

2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

stay in b flat
    a10 b11

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

weak! but I deserved it from my last score.... so I will award you a point Gel, even though you haven't claimed it.
    go flat out
    a+1: a11 b12

4. flat feet
    a+1: a11 b12

5. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

foot pedal
    B+1
    A11 B13

6. brake pedal
    B+1
    A11 B13

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

pedal power
    A+1
    A12 B13

8. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

power chord
    A12 B 14

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

strike a chord

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

strike action
    a12 b14

11. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

action songs
    a12 b15?

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Right, let's rewind.
    from 'jam session'
    jammy dodger

a13 b15

13. Artful Dodger

A13 B16

14. artful performance

A13 B17

(It's worth a try)

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

travelling performers
    *does that count?*
    a14 b17

16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Hello all,
    Thanks for trying this out. I think it works as a a game.
    Shall we call this trial game a draw?!!
    I do understand that whether something is a "well known phrase" or not is a big grey area, but that's what the umpire is for. I think this game would work if the umpire's decision was accepted - but this would mean he/she is neutral..... Also, players should not be allowed to add 1 to the score - they should be allowed to make a claim, however, which the umpire judges when he/she sees it later on.
    I'd like to do this again with another theme-pair. If anyone wants to think of a theme-pair and be unpire that would be great. Or think of a theme pair, and get someone else to umpire that would be great too. I'm happy to be a neutral umpire if noone else fancies it, but Im easy, if someone else wants to do it.
    I think it;s important for the umpire to outline the criteria as fully as possible at the start,as to what is and is not allowed, with the power to amend the criteria as the game progresses.
    Players could maybe just choose which side to be on, trying to keep equal-ish sides, rather than than by going on initial.
    Any thoughts?

17. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Do you think clothes and food would work?

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes, but we need to be very clear at the outset as to what we will accept as scoring words for both categories. Hmmm . . . . . .I'm thinking out loud here . . . . . .
    Food: basic ingredients, names of meals (lobster thermidor for example), food ingredients such as glucose, aspartame . . . .but what about drinks and brand name foodstuff and drinks? Does cooking methods cloud the issue at all? I don't know.
    Same dilemma applies to clothes . . . .for example do we allow methods of production like 'knitted cardigan' or fabrics and cuts/style?
    *I love the idea of playing a game with two teams and I think Eureka is on to something with this general idea . . . . .but I keep getting the impression that we could simplify matters a little, cut out any confusion in the process . . . . [​IMG] . . . . .might it be possible to do the same as the other thread, Secret Target Words? Except teams agree upon a secret target word in advance, instead of individuals . . . . . anyway, I'm happy to give Clothes and Food a try*

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

clothes and food sound good. No proper names/ brand names I suggest.
    If we had secret target words, you would have to liaise with team members every time they change, and you would have to not forget it, and you wouldn't be able to play "safe" because you wouldn;t know the opposition's target...
    I'm glad you like the game Kibosh. Do you want to umpire or me? Or Gelly - it's your idea....

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'd prefer not to umpire - I'd like to play
    Hows about Team A = Food
    Team B = Clothes
    I'll start for Team A . . . . . and we can see how it goes [​IMG]
    sherry trifle