1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team Target game : travel vs music

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Eureka!, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

'Fraid not! "Tuning fork" has already scored, so tune/tuning/tuned etc can;t score.
    A3 B3
    up your street

2. beat up

A point for beat ?
    A3 B4

3. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Is that up beat? Well done nighty [​IMG]

4. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

up tight

5. Up tempo
    Surely a point for the B team??

6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

You're not allowed to use up twice to score
    Slow tempo
    A 3 B 5 [​IMG]

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

True, because "up" was being used as one of the two "big" words when "up beat" scored. NOte my generosity BTW .. upbeat is one word I think,,,,
    slow boat A+1
    A4 B5

8. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

boat key

9. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

So if I say:-
    piano key
    Is that a point for music? But does it also mean that neither 'piano' nor 'key' can be used to gain a point again? I'm really not sure I understand this one at all. :(

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

No you're right Wera, so piano key should score. However, "boat key" is not really a well known 2 word phrase as far as I can see. "slow boat" is, because of the expression "slow boat to china".
    Dodgy expressions are the achilles heel of this game. On the other hand we have an umpire present. One who not only devised the game but one who is intelligent, knowledgeable, handsome and unbelievably fair and impartial. That's me obviously.
    In deliberating my ruling the umpire must try to let the last phrase stand as the last phrase. Which I will do. However it does not score, and as a penalty for a contrived phrase that was obviously made up in order to be scored off next go, I am going to add "key" to the list of words that team B cannot now score off. (If Showergel meant boat quay, then my apologies, but I think the penalty rule is a good idea anyway...
    car key
    A+1 A5 B5

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

resume of used words
    A
    underground station, railway timetable, average speed, slow boat, car key
    B
    listening station (sic), score overlap, fine tuning, slow tempo, up beat (sic)
    penalty words: key

12. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

OK lets see if I've got this right... I don't score with either Tuning Fork or Piano Key because the rules say so. Key is now a 'penalty word', so instead of going back to 'slow boat' you can choose to stick with Piano Key and play 'Car Key' so that it becomes a score for travel?
    I rather suspect that the rules are rather stacked against music... as the 'umpire' is in the travel team.
    Or have I missed something?

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You always play off the last phrase in thread. Each team's list of used/penalty words applies only to that team. Key is on B list of used/penalty words .. B can use it in a phrase, but such a phrase can;t score. Does that help ...? (I've listed the words as the pairs tht they came in, but each INDIVIDUAL word in the list counts as a used word... maybe that helps...)
    Even assuming that I am desperate to win and that I am unfair, this game could be regarded as a tester, to get the rules right. BTW, I'm the only one on team A atm!
    car key

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

racing car

15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

racing rhythm
    Is that a point?

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If its descriptive of something to do with music, then it's a point - neither of the words have been used to win a point previously (waffling now and just hoping I have understood the rules)

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

engine rhythm

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I don;t think so .. it;s not a well known phrase in music.
    engine capacity

19. lung capacity ..... can I have that (in relation to singing)?

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

nope!
    passenger capacity
    A+1: A6 B5