1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Team in despair

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Beckstar9978, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Beckstar9978

Beckstar9978 New commenter

Long story short! Work as part of a team which I led for a big change in setting! Had a great team, worked well, listened to each other and had mutual respect. A staff member returned to work and the team has gone into meltdown. Returned staff member is condescending, ignorant, goes behind our backs to tell tales to HT about instances when she hasn't got her own way. She says one thing then does the exact opposite! She is trying to be unit leader yet never listens to her colleagues or most importantly the children. Our happy working atmosphere has been destroyed. Colleagues are threatening to leave if things don't improve I want to resolve it but I actually can't see a way to help restore peace. HT seems to be oblivious to this atmosphere and how unhappy the staff are although I wonder whether she is hoping it will sort itself out. Advice appreciated....,,

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As the 'team leader' I think it is your perogative to go to the HT and explain that the return to worker has sent the team Pete Tong.

If HT does not listen/act maybe its time to find a new team to lead................

3. Beckstar9978

Thank you for replying! You are right I should approach HT! I fear i may have to look for a new job which is such a shame because we were having so much fun and my career prospects are great! It is beginning to make me ill now though! Thanks again.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

If you are the team leader then you need to take charge. You must go and discuss with the HT, no question. Then (under HT's guidance) you need a meeting with the errant colleague, with someone else to take notes; you need to explain the situation as you see it and seek her help in finding a good way forward. She many have no clue of the impact of her actions; she may be malevolent, we can't tell from here - and you may well not be too sure either. Then you need to set out review processes so that the actions that you agree can be checked upon.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This person wouldn't be 'in thick' with the Head, by any chance?

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You fear you might need to look for a new job because you were having such fun! I think that sounds a bit daft to be honest. If you're team leader it's your job to integrate this member of staff into the team. She may be difficult but it's your job to deal with her in one way or another so that the team runs smoothly. You make your old team sound like a very cosy closed shop. If you want to develop your career, dealing with this person is a great opportunity to show your management skills. Go and talk to the HT but ask for help to formulate a plan to integrate the new person not to slap her down. That's what I call fun!

7. Beckstar9978

Thank you for your comments. Whilst I led on a recent project I am not team leader! We are a very close team and this member of staff was part of that close team prior to her year out. Infact she was a very good friend! You are correct in what you say that this could be a great opportunity and I will look at it in that respect. Thanks again