1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching years 4 - 6 light

Discussion in 'Science' started by mr_free_sat, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi there. Just need some advice.
    I will be teaching a lesson on light in the next few days looking at how light is made up of more than one colour. On a more basic level we will be discussing aborption and reflection with the colours. The class is year 4 - 6.
    Just wondering if anyone has taught this lesson before and found anything which may work well!

Thanks

2. Hi there. Just need some advice.
    I will be teaching a lesson on light in the next few days looking at how light is made up of more than one colour. On a more basic level we will be discussing aborption and reflection with the colours. The class is year 4 - 6.
    Just wondering if anyone has taught this lesson before and found anything which may work well!

Thanks

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is this KS2? I am teaching this at GCSE at the moment!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just make sure you teach them the proper colours of the spectrum. Our kids still think that Pink is in the rainbow because their primary teacher taught them a song about it!

5. Yeah key stage 2! It will be just drilling in to them basically that the primary colours red, green and blue when mixed can create white. It wont be looking in as much detail as yours!
    Going to try and find some decent games they could try...

6. BBC bitesize KS2 has good stuff - actually, it does seem to be the stuff that used to be in KS3 - quite complex for them to understand!
    Good luck....

7. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

At Key stage 2, I would look to cover:
    The light spectrum
    Primary colors
    Shadows (light moves in straight lines)
    There is a good investigation where the students investigate the size of the shadow as the light is moved towards the object.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Try and download a copy of 'How many colours are in a rainbow' by Tom Glazer and Dottie Collins. It can be found on some torrent sites and other websites. It is also on youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rCTxGY6zk

The kids can perform it!

9. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

10. Thank you all for the suggestions its a big help!