1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching year ten about hyperbole - help!

Discussion in 'English' started by pidders, May 20, 2011.

1. I am being observed with my top set year ten, and i want our focus to be the use of hyperbole in an argument to hit the top band for the new English Language exam.
    If anyone has any suggestions/resources on teaching this in an engaging way I would be very grateful!

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

My immediate thought is teacher in role as a starter - go off on a hyperbolic rant about something and freak the kids out.

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Show them the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch.

4. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Off the top of my head, and without any knowldge of the new Eng Lan paper (haven't got that far yet!) the Marks and Spencer's food adverts would be perfect 'This isn't just a chicken, this is a M&S free-range, country-farm, golden, succulent chicken....' etc etc etc. Get them to apply the principle to a range of random and not so random objects (i.e. this isn't just a pen, this is a.....). Then I would look at how the same product/person etc. had been described by different sources (different newspapers, websites etc.) in a 'bigged-up' way. Throw in a few superlatives vocab work (i.e. come up for a better word for.....) then bob's your uncle. For the latter, the KS3 premier league starter is good (2nd division word is the meakest, 1st division is better, premier league is the best - do a table, they fill in the blanks for 1st and premier leagues, for example, with the word 'sad', they could put 'blue' then 'desolate'.

5. That's a fantastic idea. Consider it duly nicked.

6. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Ditto!