1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am an NQT and I have just secured my first teaching post (maternity cover)
    After half term I will be teaching year 5, I have been told they are quite a challenging bunch.
    My ideas for behaviour management are: to use raffle tickets; star of the week and stickers.
    also because many turn up late, I was thinking about rewarding the children who come in on time all week (like a chocolate biscuit at friday breaktime)
    consequences are a green/orange/red card system

any other ideas to help me?

also as the classroom is a little messy (i'm going in over halfterm to clear it) and i think the displays are all oveer the place, i.e. bits of maths and french on one wall, maths and english on another etc I am going to create new displays, and i was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some interesting display material from, to save me from making it all

sorry if there are any mistakes, Very tired!!

Miss H

2. Hello
    I am an NQT and I have just secured my first teaching post (maternity cover)
    After half term I will be teaching year 5, I have been told they are quite a challenging bunch.
    My ideas for behaviour management are: to use raffle tickets; star of the week and stickers.
    also because many turn up late, I was thinking about rewarding the children who come in on time all week (like a chocolate biscuit at friday breaktime)
    consequences are a green/orange/red card system

any other ideas to help me?

also as the classroom is a little messy (i'm going in over halfterm to clear it) and i think the displays are all oveer the place, i.e. bits of maths and french on one wall, maths and english on another etc I am going to create new displays, and i was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some interesting display material from, to save me from making it all

sorry if there are any mistakes, Very tired!!

Miss H

3. Hi,

I have taught Year 5 for 3 years now. For displays, couldn't you do some work at the beginning of the next term with the children to make displays? That'd also be a lovely way to start the term and get the children enthused about working with you and excited about their work.

As for behaviour management/reward systems, here's what I do:
    * Begin the year by discussing school rules/making up class ones and class vision statement and displaying these;
    * Individual points for things they do well - each child has a laminated card where they collect their points - when they get 8, they get a small prize;
    * Table points - all children work together to get points (and if someone lets their table down, just reward the others with points instead,) table with most table points at end of day gets a small prize;
    * Working hard certificates to take home;
    * Being sent to head/deputy/other classes with good work;
    * Verbal praise;
    * Stickers.
    For sanctions:
    * Low level disruption (1st occurance) they get their name on board - a formal warning;
    * Second occurance - miss some or all of breaktime;
    * Consistently referring to school/class rules
    * Rewarding good behaviour around the misbehaving child;
    * Catching the child doing something good and rewarding them;
    * Having to earn back breaktimes (unless it's a serious offence, they can always do this.)
    * Lunchtime detention - Learning Mentor does this;
    * Being sent to head/deputy;
    * Time out of class/on a table alon to calm down;
    There's probably more, and I'll post them if they come to me. Hope these help. :)

4. First stop with the behaviour would be to seek out the school policy on behaviour. You would expect there to be a whole school approach that you can simply adopt.
    As for the chocolate biscuits at breaktime, that wouldn't be acceptable in my school. Again, is there a whole school reward system?

5. The traffic light system is a good idea. At our school, all classes use the good to be green system. 2 verbal warnings beforehand, then onto amber which means they mss next weeks golden time and is recorded in behaviour book. Finally it is red- missed play the next day, letter home and a visit to the head teacher. This is generally very effective. Obviously you would have to dicuss this system with the head, that, or just do a smilar one that you just do as a class.
    The late thing, well I hve a similar problem with my class. At first I had the idea of praising/rewarding those were early or on time. Then I realised, it it their responsibility or the parents? What if they want to get in on time but their mum/dad are late driving them in? Really that is beyond most of their control so is it fair to reward/punish them for it?
    I do 'table of the week' they get a trophy and prize at end of week. Team points, sticker charts etc etc. Hope this makes sense, am knackered. Goodlck xxx

6. My year 5s when I had them loved all sorts of rewards inc raffle tickets and stickers.
    Be mindful, though that it is often not the fault of the child if they are late...penalising those with disorganised parents/chaotic home life may not be the best thing to do.

7. I agree. I have a child in Year 5 with only 60% attendance since Sept, and with many late marks on the days he is in. There is no discipline/routine for bedtime and so he can't get up in the morning, also mum goes back to bed herself once he is up for school. We have tried phoning from school at 7.45 as an alarm call! (we start at 8.30) , and have offered him a free place at breakfast club which runs from 8 am.
    He goes through fits and starts.
    However it is not his fault, and we have set up sessions with BESDA support to try to help him, with the attendance being monitored by the attendance officer. (Our school office phone him every time the child is in late or absent,after phoning mum)
    We also have a very challenging year group , and have put in place a card system of sanctions, being a removal from class where they are sent to another teacher in the year group after having a blue card where they are sent out as a cool down period. They are not 'dealt with' by the other member of staff, but just give you and them respite, and then they miss some of their time ie break, golden time where they are expected to catch up the work missed.
    As a reward my class opted for golden time as a class, but they 'bank' the time to give themselves an hour once every 3 weeks so that they can do activities such as cooking, play games, wall climbing etc. Those having been recorded in the school system lose time as 15 minutes for every entry. It is having a positive effect.
    Hope this gives you some ideas - but best of all ask the children, they are the best judge and are actually surprisingly honest (and harsh on themselves).