1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Year 5 - How should I start the year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by richiew30, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hi guys
    I am teaching Year 5 this year for the first time. I have only taught KS1 before and am unsure how to start the year. Should I start straight away teaching the framework or should I begin with some assessment acitvities? Are there any assessment actvities for numeracy and literacy available on the net? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Hi guys
    I am teaching Year 5 this year for the first time. I have only taught KS1 before and am unsure how to start the year. Should I start straight away teaching the framework or should I begin with some assessment acitvities? Are there any assessment actvities for numeracy and literacy available on the net? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

3. In my opinion start teaching straight away, assess as you go and adapt planning & teaching accordingly. Year 5 is a fab year. Enjoy.

4. Hello, i am an NQT and I have secured a job teaching year 5 this year too. Are you an NQT? I work in a big school, so the 3 year 5 teachers plan together. We are mainly following the main curriculum planning straight away, other than going slightly off topic with the first Literacy focussing on a poem about them to get to know the class.
    In terms of knowing the assessment level of the children you should speak to the previous class teacher and find out where they are in their learning so you know where to start from and then assess as you go along.
    Have you got many ideas as to how you will set up your classroom yet?

5. I'm in my third year of teaching, but first teaching Year 5. I will speak to the previous teacher about children's levels, but I won't see anyone till the start of the term. Trying to get as prepared as possible before then. I'm in a small school so do most of my planning by myself.

Haven't really thought too much about how I'm going to set up the class yet. But I'm popping in on Monday to start sorting things out.