1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching year 2!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by shazza12, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Hey guys!

I am an NQT and have just secured my first job. I will be teaching year 2 in september. Initially i was very excited. But at the moment, I couldn't be more terrified! The other year 2 teacher is off on maternity leave and I have no idea whats going on!

Anyone got any tips or ideas as to what I should do when it comes to asking for help? I almost seem a little embarrassed going to anyone for help. For example, what is expected of me come September?They have just left me and expected me to find out everything myself. I mean, is that what usually happens? It just feels strange not having my class teacher mentor there for reassurance anymore? I haven't been given a TA yet and I am just following everyone else, in terms of what should be done for example, labelling books etc. I have a feeling I will be going in A LOT over the summer to set up my classroom. I don't think my school has an NQT mentor, so that doesn't really help?

Any advice anyone...please?

P.S SATS are freaking me out!!

2. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I think its normal to be feeling apprehensive. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You are a new teacher (like myself) and I can only imagine this next year is going to be a little bit like when you pass your driving test......you start driving alone and then you REALLY learn how to drive.

I am very lucky to have secured a job in my placement school so I know the school very well, my class mentor will be my NQT mentor. I am sure there will be an NQT mentor in your school and they will be known to you before long I would think.

I would imagine you will spend a bit of your summer in school......mostly for your own piece of mind that you are organised. Good luck for your NQT year :)

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you are going to be completing your NQT year in the school, you will have a mentor. Find out as soon as you can who this will be, as this is the person best placed to offer you support. It is likely to be another teacher although it could be the head or deputy head.

Try to speak to the current Year 1 teacher. He/she will have taught the children this year and will be able to pass on their reports, which might be useful; he/she could also tell you about routines, behaviour management techniques, rewards, etc that the children are used to. That doesn't mean you have to do the same (although there may be some school-wide things in place, which you will have to follow), but it is good to get some ideas.

Are you in a one- or two-form entry school? If two-form, get your partner teacher's e-mail address so that you can contact him/her over the summer if you have any questions. Find out how you will co-ordinate planning - each do your own thing, or share the workload?

Other useful things to find out before the end of term are:

- list of topics for Year 2 (if the school uses set topics)

- does the school have a set planning format (if they do, get a blank one!)?

- does the school follow the National Strategies for Maths and Literacy?

- what does the school use for teaching phonics?

- are there any schemes of work or a specific curriculum (eg. IPC) for non-foundation subjects?

All ^this^ information will help you to do some basic planning over the summer. Obviously you can't do anything in detail because you don't know your class/their abilities yet, but it is good to have a long-term plan drawn up and some ideas for things for the first few weeks; even if you don't end up using many of the ideas, it will make you feel more confident to have them!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Approach any teacher and ask who they think would be the best person to speak to about X. If it's something general, like planning, they may well say they can help. If not, they will point you in the right direction. People are almost always more than willing to help if you ask (as long as you don't ask at a really inconvenient time, like when they're trying to teach the class!).

Good luck with everything and don't forget we are here to help, too :)