1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Year 12 and 13 AS and A2 Chemistry in One Class Simultaneously With No Practical

Discussion in 'Science' started by expert_resources, Sep 24, 2020.

1. expert_resources

expert_resources New commenter

Hi All,

I currently teach A level chemistry and have year 12 (AS) and Year 13 (A2) timetabled for 5 hours per week in the same class. I therefore need to teach AS and A2 chemistry simultaneously with 5 hours curriculum time total. Also due to COVID the classes cannot do practical currently.

Naturally I am finding it incredibly difficult to deliver AS and A2 content at the same time and to plan effective lessons. I'm wondering if any experienced chemistry teachers have any ideas of how I could plan lessons and sequence the curriculum to ensure the students make the best progress possible. Or if you know of any very good resources that students could use (i.e. self teaching) while I teach the other half of the class via direct instruction.

Imagine if your AS and A2 classes were combined into one. What would you do?

2. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

I tried teaching grade 7 & grade 8 simultaneously a few years ago. Wasn't possible to do it anywhere near adequately, but what I did was I had two sets of resources and used my laptop for a presentation for one group whilst I used the main whiteboard for the other group. Cambridge have resource plus (https://learning.cambridgeinternational.org/classroom/course/view.php?id=3018)
    which has some useful bits that students can use for self-teaching if you have access to it, or there are some good things on phet.colorado.edu that can be helpful for computer based experiments.

If there is anything that can be done to change the organisation so that AS and A2 is studied separately, do it.

3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

what happened to year group bubbles?

4. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

this sounds incredibly challenging - the only suggestion I have is to somehow have 2 different whiteboards / vehicles to deliver the resource and have one for AS and one for A2.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

This suggestion is in the "if we had known about this last year" department.
    Are there any topics you could teach to both groups simultaneously as one class? Some topics depend on others so couldn't quite work like that, but there might be at least some.

border_walker likes this.