1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching year 1 Literacy for interview - HELP I need ideas!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Fabbiano, May 30, 2013.

1. I have an interview next week for an NQT post where I have to teach year 1 Literacy. Literacy is my weakest subject, I'm also worried because it's the first time I'm teaching for my interview. The lesson has to last 30 minutes. I've only been told that I have to teach Literacy using 'an artefact of my choice as a stimulus'. I will have an interactive whiteboard and a TA available to me.

I don't know how to keep the children engaged for 30 minutes. I am so used to giving out worksheets after 15-20 minutes. I could also do with help on how to differentiate. I'm panicking because I haven't had much opportunity to teach young children literacy and will be doing that at my current school placement after half term is over. Any help and ideas will be appreciated.

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Fabbiano I'm having difficulty deciding if this s a genuine post or not.

If you don't know how to keep children engaged for 30 minutes, give out worksheets habitually after 15 minutes and need help in differentiating can I respectfully suggest that you need much more training before you would consider applying for posts, or at the very least apply for posts in age ranges in which you do have sufficient experience.

3. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

No 1 - don't panic...you can do this!

No 2- do you know if it is a small group or whole class?

No 3 - do you have any idea of the spread of levels? eg P9 - 1b

No 4 - do you have E2L children/SEN children?

30mins is no time at all! I suggest a max 5 - 8 min intro,15min activity, 5 - 8min plenary

You need to decide on what you want them to learn and then go from there...

Hope that might give you a starting point...am sure others will offer some support...Good Luck!

4. Thank you for suggesting a time limit. It really helps. Sadly I haven't been told anything apart from the fact that I'm teaching Literacy.

5. I have done plenty of differentiating and have had training in early years and higher KS2. I am currently on a KS1 placement and only had one opportunity to teach Literacy because the children are doing practise SATs papers instead of normal lessons.

6. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

It is OK to ask minimal, pertinent questions. It is important to know if it is whole class or small group lesson as if it was me I would approach these differently. Is this a job you have applied for directly?

7. I applied directly to the school. It's actually for an EYFS position but for the interview I teach year 1. I've had a placement with reception and the lessons we always did were maths, phonics and knowledge about the world. I only just started my KS1 (year 2) placement and have a lot to learn.

8. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Can I ask what type of teaching course you are on?

9. I've decided to do a story board. Is it a good idea to start off reading them a story? I can ask the children to write down or explain one thing that happened in the story. I could take note of what they say and ask them to put it in order. Then maybe I can give them some images to put their own storyboard together. Under each image they can write what is happening.

Now I'm wondering how to differentiate for highers and lowers. For lowers could I maybe give them these images and ask them to work with the TA to verbally talk about what happens in their story - Could I ask the TA to make bullet point notes for them?

Maybe I can ask the highers to create their own story? Would this be an extension or a completely different task from the average-ability kids?

I'm hoping I can pair the children up to do this while I ask the lowers to work together as a group with the TA.

I'm still thinking of what to do for the plenary.

10. I am on the Primary PGCE.

11. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

If you have taught in F/Stage as a student you should have some idea of writing levels/expectations from experiencing K&U lessons. The lower end of a year 1 class may well be only working at F/Stage levels even now.

From what you have said it sounds as if you have not had full and varied TP's as you state you didn't see Literacy in FStage and have only seem past papers in Year2. In any school (6 in total) I have had experience of year 2 teaching no one has purely flogged past papers to year 2 in the build up to taking the papers.

12. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I trained for 8 months of my SCITT course in Year 2, we did no past papers! What is the artefact you will be using? What about something magical looking, something that could pass as a dragon's scale, or a chinese dragon puppet. Could they describe a dragon? Think of an item that will generate lots of talk. What do you want them to LEARN by the end of the session? Think of this first and the activities will be easier to think of.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And don't neglect the rest of the selectionprocess - you need to prepare for the interview too. So, you should go to the BLOGS and read everything in Preparing for interview Start with Help! I've got an interview! People say that it has helped them, it could help you! If it is useful,then Red-Heart it to show that you like it.

You also need to read, in the same Preparing for interview the blog on observed lessons. Reading and thinking about it will help you to calm down, because at the moment you are just in a panic.

[​IMG]

You have had some good advice above, but do think about LadyKaza's point: why oh why are you giving out worksheets every time?

<h1>NEW!</h1>
    I have started writing Blogs - have a look, click on the BLOGS at the top.

If a Blog is helpful, then Red-Heart it by clicking on the black heart at the end.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

W1234808 likes this.
  14. You could use a nicely wrapped/decorated box with a hidden object inside (something random/unusual, making sure the size/shape of the object is different to the size/shape of the box) as your artefact. This would give lots of opportunities for differentiated questioning (lots of speaking and listening or imaginative writing/drawing) as children try to discover 'what's in the box?'. What could it be? Who might it be for? Why is it in there? You can also provide opportunites for touching, shaking, listening to the box, talk about making good guesses based on what you see ('ooo a lion, you say? Do you think the box is big and strong enough to contain a lion? Will it roar if we shake the box do you think?'), create your own mystery box - what would it look like, what would you put inside, who would you give it to, etc.

Or you could be sneaky and ask 'Who knows what's in the box?' (Well obviously the only correct answer to this is that you do because you put it there, so it's really important to listen carefully to the question to work out how to answer it!).

15. I really like the box idea. Sounds more exciting than a story board. Now I just have to come up with a learning objective. Could it be 'To write sentences using adjectives'?

16. You could use that if you wanted them to write descriptive sentences. You can have more than one objective though and I'd probably have one for the starter (speaking and listening related), one for the independent activities (or differentiated objectives) and one for the plenary activity.

17. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Can I just suggest that if you want to discuss any more ideas that you do it as PM's. There are head/deputy heads that read these forums and there is a tiny chance that one of them could be interviewing you....it wouldn't look good for you if they know someone else has given you all the ideas for the lesson. Lessons for interviews need to be your lessons to give a true picture of what you can do!

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo always suggests any 'help' is general help rather than specific, for this very reason.

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed!

So really, you shouldn't be discussing them too much by PM either . . .

Sorry . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations