1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Year 1 Literacy for an Interview - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by maryraff, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I am a final year student with an interview this Thursday for my NQT induction year. Part of the interview is to teach a 30 minute literacy lesson to 30 year ones to include an introduction, directed task with differentiation and a plenary. Can anyone offer any guidance?? The interview is on world book day so would love to do something on that. Having never taught year 1 before I'm slightly worried and want to make sure I pitch the lesson at the appropriate level. Plus I want something creative and exciting that will make me stand out

2. I am a final year student with an interview this Thursday for my NQT induction year. Part of the interview is to teach a 30 minute literacy lesson to 30 year ones to include an introduction, directed task with differentiation and a plenary. Can anyone offer any guidance?? The interview is on world book day so would love to do something on that. Having never taught year 1 before I'm slightly worried and want to make sure I pitch the lesson at the appropriate level. Plus I want something creative and exciting that will make me stand out

3. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

Without wishing to sound harsh, you need to come up with your own ideas and then ask for feedback.

4. Well I was hoping to start with a story, possibly "Aliens Love Underpants", read three quarters of the story and let the children discuss in groups what could happen next with a role play to feedback ideas followed by finishing the story. My concerns are whether this would demonstrate appropriate differentiation and classroom management as I am unsure of how spacious the class will be. Thank you

5. I currently teach Year 1 and would start by saying keep tasks short!
    <ol>[*]Display your learning objective at the start - Today we are learning to predict...[*]Read the story - is it short enough so you have time to stop to discuss tricky words/check for understanding/predicting along the way...[*]Explain the task with success criteria - maybe 1 or 2 steps. Can you continue the story successfully? Can you have an interesting ending? etc. [*]Explain how to work successfully in a group - what could be our golden rule...can we take turns to discuus our ideas? Explain you will be monitoring and handing out stickers for good listening and turn taking[*]Split pupils into groups - ask for low ability in one group & you could work with them - this would be differentiation through teacher support. Other groups could work independently - could be given big A3 sheet to record ideas if they finsih early.[*]Ring a bell to remind them they have 10 , 5, 1 minute left[*]Bring to carpet and take turns to hear input[*]Constant asking of learning objective...So, did this group manage to predict...[*]Constant asking of success criteria...So, did this group continue...finish the story...interesting ending...[*]Ask for thumbs up/down whether they think they achieved learning objective. [*]Read the end of the story</ol>

6. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

There is some brilliant advice from Bookshelf there. Personally I would choose a different objective - one that you can really demonstrate progress. You only have 30 minutes but you need to show that you can move the children's learning on and predicting the end of a story (which some of them might already know as it is a popular one) may be not be the best way to demonstrate this. I would choose a more specific objective - using describing words, for example - and in the plenary get them to demonstrate that they can now do that. Tricky when you do not know the class but your interviewers will be looking that you can show progress in the lesson.

7. I agree - a more specific obj would be better - just ensure you choose a story with reallly good describing words that you could get the TA to list as you read if you choose that obj.

8. Thank you all so much for your help!! I have decided to focus on the story "Good Little Wolf" by Nadia Shireen. The learning objective is to use describing words in a character description, I will start by reading and discussing the story followed by ability grouped discussion to think of words to describe the personality and/or looks of the bad wolf and the good little wolf - and write these onto whiteboards. To differentiate, I will sit with the lower ability group and scribe their ideas and extend the higher ability by getting them to do both personality and looks or compare the two characters. As a plenary, groups will self assess each other by sharing their describing words with certain groups chosen to share with the class.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on my idea or anything they would like to add? Any interview advice in general would be much appreciated!